Tackling controversial issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep wandering off point (largely by my own doing).
Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Off Topic forum?

Perhaps this thread should be murdered and or raped.
maybe it will shoot back. jk.
----
it's funny how things condition us.
----
I think there will always be more people who disagree than agree with you but yeah - as you said it is controversial. Efergoh, I think just go ahead with it. I mean you wont know what happens till you do it right? =)

Wish we could discuss at length the demons you've raised here but I guess it's out of scope for this forum/thread.

I was really trying to avoid this but there have been so many careless mischaracterizations bandied about, I feel compelled to respond.

Armed citizens, by and large, do not "live in fear"...at least no more so than the anyone else. I'm one of them and I live a life much like others here. I don't think I'm Rambo...or a super cop...or a vigilante...nor do I have any other macho fantasy self image. It's not a fetish object. It's a tool. I have fire extinguishers in my home...I have a first aid kit and winter survival gear in my truck...and I carry a firearm for personal defense. None of that makes me anything more than a guy trying to prudently look out for himself and his loved ones.

It's not about us "living in dystopian caveman dog eat dog world." It doesn't have to be bad all over to be really bad at just one moment, in just one place. I live in a great city in a great state and wouldn't live anywhere else. But like any other community, we have our problems here and there. Bad things do happen to good people and it isn't always on "that side of town".

We don't always take precautions because an undesired event is likely. Sometimes, we take precautions because the consequences of that event, no matter how remote the possibility, are grave. If I carry my firearm today and don't need it...yah-freakin'-hoo. I'll gladly live the rest of my life never having to use it for self defense. But if I do ever need it...I'm really going to need it. I know people who had the need, had the firearm, and I'm glad they're still here today.

Now, if you're one of those folks with philosophies about cutting violence off at the source, not answering violence with violence, etc...more power to you. Good luck. I mean that. Just don't ask us to forego our personal defense for the sake of your social experiment. And while you're at it, please spare us the uninformed stereotypes about gun owners gleaned from too many movies, television, news media, or perhaps your own personal prejudices. It gets old. Quick.

The problem lies in the fact that many many many people do think of themselves as a vigalente, and give themselves a macho self image by owning a gun. You're (wrongfully) being judged by the acts of many others.

I personally would never own a gun. The chances of me being able to keep my gun secure enough to keep it out of the hands of my children and STILL being able to use it if I needed are very slim. I can think of very few scenarios where owning a gun would be a good thing, and more where owning it could be terrible.

I can't imagine where you live that you would need a gun walking down the street. Perhaps instead of owning a gun, you should stop walking down those streets, at hours of the night that would entail being robbed or mugged. In any case, if someone shines a gun in MY face, I certainly am not going to pull my OWN on them. I think that would anger them, and increase the likelyhood of them actually shooting...

In my mind fighting violence with violence is senseless, but for some people a real need. If you work at a job that requires the use, or live in an area that necesitates a gun, be my guest. FURTHERMORE if you just like to shoot a gun at the firing range, and own it for that purpose, I have no problems. If you hunt, go ahead.

I do, however think that we need stricter laws on WHO can obtain a gun and HOW fast they can, (infamous gun show law). Furthermore I think the idea of giving guns to women who would keep them in their purse in case of rape is RIDICULOUS. A gun permit and a concealed permit are TWO different things, and there is a good reason for that. IT takes an attentive, trained, alert individual to keep a gun on them at all times.

The OP's original idea of bringing attention to the problem of a lack of an armed female populace is madness... sorry if you don't see that.

That sounds good, but how do you suggest we do that?

One way is to avoid situations that would require the use of a gun. Avoid areas of town that aren't well lit and populated.

I get by my life just fine and never ONCE have I ever considered owning a gun. I don't live in Middletown USA, I live near St Pete, and Tampa... we have a high crime rate...

RMThompson, your attitude is elitist. Not everyone can avoid those high crime areas. What of the poor who are forced by the economic status to live in low rent/high crime areas?

But, I think dewey is right. We can't seem to stay on task here. I think a Mod should 86 this thread while we are all still on reasonably friendly terms.

Yeah, it's done.

We have tried to let it run its course and be done, but someone keeps picking it up and carrying it off topic, so...

closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back