taking candid pictures of people

JonnyVPA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Scranton, PA is my Hometown but im constantly movi
Im curious on how to take candid pictures of people with them actually knowing Im there.... when I used to shoot for the paper i was able to just walk around and theyd see the Press pass around my neck but now people look at me like im a psychopath and will turn away the second they see the lens point at them..... even when i ask... "May i take your picture"... i get a snotty sounding "NO!" and then they walk away...... it kinda sucks.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can fix this problem..... because i miss taking candid "Paper shots" of people

I was wondering the same thing. How do you approach someone and ask for their photograph? I guess each situation is different, but I have a hard time approaching people I don't know.

I've never tried this personally, so take it for what it's worth.

I was reading of a National Geographic photographer (Can't remember his name) who talked about how he approached people he wanted to photograph. He'd basically go up to them and tell them he was interested in what they were doing and that he wanted to take a photo. Usually if he interacted with them a bit *before* asking for the photo, he got better results.

After he asked for the photo, he'd continue talking to them and try to learn a little about what they were doing - like if it was a lady sitting on a park bench sewing or something like that, he'd just show more interest in it. A few minutes later, he'd get up and begin composing his shot, and his subject went on like he was never there and let him snap away.

Yep, asking first is really the best way to ensure your shots don't all consist of surprised or angry faces. Unfortunately a lot of people will say no. There's a positive side to this though; the people who say yes will give you better shots, since they'll relax, and you'll be able to take your time and compose instead of having to be stealthy. If you don't feel comfortable asking people or simply don't want them to be aware, then try using compact or rangefinders instead of your SLR, shoot from the hip (while not looking at the subject) or from a distance, and be prepared to run away. Otherwise, it's best that they know what you're doing and why you're doing it (i.e. that you're not a pedophile or stalker). After all, if every amateur photographer goes around using the paparazzi approach on members of the public, or being conspicuously sneaky, it's unlikely to make people any more trusting of strangers with cameras.

Since I am younger I can just say that it's for school. Maybe just wear a daily news t-shirt or something to imply you are with the press, but you never actually have to say it.

see the Press thing is what makes people think "Oh okay its for the paper" but when I used to do photojournalism i had to go and ask theyre names and all that jive **** then write down stuff and mostly people know ..... so if you say "im from the paper" and not write down theyre name or act like a photojournalist ..... they will probly get a bit ****ed

I have this camera Nikon Coolpix 8400. If you scroll down the page you will see it has a fold out and rotating LCD screen (6th picture down, I think). You can literally compose the shot and take it without the person next to you knowing they are being photographed. I use this camera out in public a lot because it is so easy to get candids of people. It kind of looks like your viewing some already shot pictures but the lens is pointing right at the subject.

Don't use the flash, though :wink: :lol: It is a bit limited as a point and shoot but still takes nice pictures. I am sure some other cameras must have this feature. The 8400 and 5400 both have this type of screen and I have found it to be great for composition. Both are off the market now but can be had used.

I didnt have any problems with this stuff... Oneday we went on the streets for searcjing the people good dressed, any freaks or something that looks great, so I went to the person, tell him that i`m making a project for street fashion, I asked some questions like, where do you like to dres ( i mean what brands), what do you wear now, etc. They told me everything and in the end, I made pictures of them. They all thanked me for that. But i really wanted to make a comunity like that in livejournal, nut everything went wrong, i didng make anything, so now i have pictures of nice looking people....

ALso i heard a story about some Japanease who give a girl 100 euro for shooting a picture when she was a cyber punk. She looked freaky but Japans wanted to shoot her and she doest liked it. But when they gave her money, she accepted this. Pretty expensive, ya?

JonnyVPA said:
Im curious on how to take candid pictures of people with them actually knowing Im there.... when I used to shoot for the paper i was able to just walk around and theyd see the Press pass around my neck but now people look at me like im a psychopath and will turn away the second they see the lens point at them..... even when i ask... "May i take your picture"... i get a snotty sounding "NO!" and then they walk away...... it kinda sucks.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can fix this problem..... because i miss taking candid "Paper shots" of people

photoshop and kinkos. make, laminate, and string up another press pass. ahhahahah. no one will know its fake.

Made this to make it look like i'm doing photo assignments for school

idphotog.jpg

got it laminated and clipped it on my photo bag

If its a sunny day use a telephoto lens and a tripod you can be so far away they will never know you are photographing them and if they do see you they may think you are shooting something behind them.

Most reactions

Back