Teething problems

Tkraz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pesfan.com
I have been the proud owner of a Canon EOS 300D for a good 6 months or so now, and have used it originaly mainly in the automatic mode, in order to "gradually" increase the difficulty in using the equipment.

Having now made the plunge to the "Creative Modes" on the camera, eg the more manual modes, including the entirely manual settings, I am finding my results to be extremely varied in terms of effectively controlling the settings to create different effects.

Mainly the colours seem to be off when I manually create a shot, and generally the result is poor, with the exposure being very hit or miss. It's becoming increasingly frustrating taking back what is an interesting looking set of results, then seeing the full size versions to be disappointingly "inaccurate".

Any help or tutorials on how to improve my knowledge/ability in setting up the shots Im "mucking up", would be greatly appreciated!

Does your 300D have a built in meter? If so that, plus a knowledge of the basic rules of photography (f-stop, Shutter speed ect.) should get you close. What do you mean when you say the color look "off"? Are you shooting in daylight or under artificial light? A "washed out" look, is gennerallt caused by underexposure...try bracketing your shot.
Hope this helps...I'll check back for your answers.

Your 300D should be able to tell you, even when you're in one of the manual modes, if it thinks your exposure is under or over exposed. If you're in Av or Tv then when you change either the shutter speed or aperture the camera will automatically change the other one to ensure you have correct exposure.

If you go beyond the camera's capabilities. ie: there are no more stops for you to work with. Then your little light meter (the bar with -2..-1..0..+1..+2 on it) will have another little bar under it start flashing. This will tell you whether it's under or over exposed and so you'll know you have to change a setting. like ISO, shutter speed or Aperture, or put the flash up.

Maybe if you showed us an example of a photo you're not happy with we can let you know what you're doing wrong and how to fix it.

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

Some of the techniques or rather, practises suggested here such as bracketing, or using the Tv or Av settings are things I am familiar with but didnt realise would make a difference to the end product particularly as I was more of the though I was doing something more drastically wrong.

Will post some images as an example when I get home tonight! ;)

Your Auto White Balance probably isn't compensating well (or if its a used camera - the previous owner changed some settings). Check the presets (AWB, Contrast, Sharpness, Vivid/Muted color, etc) and see what they are on.

*slaps forehead*

My Monitors colours were on the blink.

Got a new TFT 19" effort and now everything is so much clearer (literally)

THanks for the suggestions though!! :D

Most reactions

Back