Tell me what digital p&s camera to buy...

Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...for my mom. She knows NOTHING about technology, so it has to be easy to use, but I'd like to get her something nice. I canNOT spend a fortune though. So....does anyone have any suggestions at all? She is NOT a very good photographer, but she takes a lot of pics of the pets and family n stuff, so it doesn't have to have all those bells n whistles that most of us look for.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. :) Thank ya! :)

i always recommend the canon IXUS (30-55) series as they have a wide range of cameras all the same good standard with different amounts of MPs. imo it has a simple interface too.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital/Digital_IXUS_30/

As much of a nikon lover as i am, the coolpix cameras i've used in the past have had really difficult interfaces. far too many options and buttons though they may have changed that now

I'm getting her to go Digital. My stepdad actually got her one for Christmas a few years ago...but it sits up at his shop, and HE uses it for work. :S She couldn't figure out uploading and all that crap, but she was able to at least get it to take pictures most of the time! :lol: I also want her to get digital, because she wastes SO much film, because she really isn't that good of a photographer and she wastes a lot of film. My little brother still lives at home (he's 13) so I can teach HIM how to put them on the computer, then I'll show him how to set her up with an account at shutterfly...and he can help her order pictures, and she can save some money that way.

Thanks for the advice! Anyone else?

I worked in selling compact cameras for a couple years....from experience mom's and women love Casios new range, how they look, feel and work.

I'd say Canon Ixus or Casio Exilim EX-S or Zmodels, or a perhaps a Sony DSC T5/7etc... Sony menus will be most difficult but have good photo results, Canon most likely the best results with fairly simple menus and wheel function, Casio easy easy easy to use and pictures pretty good. I have an Ixus 700 and its bloody good! The 40, 50 and 500 are all fantastic compacts as well. As personal preference I'm just not that keen on Sony compacts, but I have friends and family who use them with great results.

We got my mum the Casio Z55, and she loves it... goes in her handbag and all that nonsense, I think the pictures produced are pretty good. Also my brother borrowed it for a trip through Canada, Boston, NY etc and got some pretty fantastic shots. They have docking cradles and all that convenient stuff mothers like...also has picture modes which change the settings etc for you... Portrait, Landscape etc...depends how much easiness you want I guess!

Most Ixus's have now moved from CF to SD cards; although the CF cards are cheaper, Memory Sticks for Sony tend to be pricier than other cards, even in the Lexar equivalent, Casio uses SD also.

Wow becky, thanks for the indepth advice! I will definately look into those! :) Thank you so much!

I sounds to me that a fist full of disposable film cameras would work nice. But that may seem so low tech and not very impressive. How about a gift certificate to a local electronics/camera place?

sobolik said:
I sounds to me that a fist full of disposable film cameras would work nice. But that may seem so low tech and not very impressive. How about a gift certificate to a local electronics/camera place?

Because there is no way on Gods green earth that she would EVER know what to buy. And disposable cameras are not digital cameras.

I have read you posts, more than one here. Why do you insist on wanting a digital camera for your mother after so eloquently stating all the reasons why it is not for her? already had one ... couldn’t... etc. I do not want to sound mean but does she want one, or do you WANT her to have one?

i just got the kodak z760 with the dock for $200. i konw some people don't like kodak but i do feel it is pretty user freindly. you could set up the dock to the computer so it would be easier for her.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back