Tenement Bedroom

It's a window, a radiator, a brick wall and a flash. It doesn't communicate anything but those things.

To you, perhaps, but for me this image is greater than the sum of its parts.

It's a window, a radiator, a brick wall and a flash. It doesn't communicate anything but those things.

Of course it's "to me." We are talking about art, of course everything we say here about artistic value is an opinion. Do we need to preface every sentence we write with "IMHO" on this DISCUSSION board?

No way out. No prospects. Can't see a future. I feel the walls are closing in on me.

A strong story-telling potential to this, imo.
well geesh it isn't THAT bad is it? Coat of paint over the plaster, little nook table and plant or window flower box could cheer it up. LOL

Of course it's "to me." We are talking about art, of course everything we say here about artistic value is an opinion. Do we need to preface every sentence we write with "IMHO" on this DISCUSSION board?

I feel one should always include phrases such as in my opinion, to my eyes, for me, etc., otherwise things come over rather bluntly and as if the proponent considers their position to be gospel truth, set in stone.

It's a window, a radiator, a brick wall and a flash. It doesn't communicate anything but those things reads quite differently than As I see it, it's a window, a radiator, a brick wall and a flash. To me, it doesn't communicate anything but those things.

Discussion, like art, has a certain set of conventions.

So now that that is cleared up, I'll reiterate my opinion: It's a window, a radiator, a brick wall and a flash, which convey so much more than those things alone, IMHO.

:)

Thanks all for your remarks. It's all good.

Seems to be the type of photo that people bring their own life experiences to when seeing it.

I really like this, at least in concept, but there are a couple of things that spoil some of the impact for me.
The distortion in the window frame is asymmetric and that draws my attention.
Likewise, the room seems like it is brightly lit from behind the position of the photographer - and that is counter to the light from outside falling over the radiator.

About 'explaining' and 'helping', imo Mike Lamb is as fully realized as an photographer as one can see around here (unfortunately, faint praise) and I don't think he is looking for help as much as trying to understand how others see his art so he can keep his own insights calibrated.

Most reactions

Back