Test shot with the auto rig

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So from last night, I learned that I need to clean my camera, buy a cpol, buy a linear polarizer, make an adjustable ND filter, use the third extension for my wide angle.

I love this set up! Now you need to find a cool car to hook it to! ;)

Vdub, all the way.

That's not my car, but I bought a GLI a couple weeks ago and I had a MKIV Jetta about 2 years before that.

I thought the main point behind auto rigs was that you weren't supposed to see the support arm for your camera... Or are you just supposed to clone it out in post...?

I thought the main point behind auto rigs was that you weren't supposed to see the support arm for your camera... Or are you just supposed to clone it out in post...?

That's it. Shoot it then remove it in post. If you think about it, there's absolutely no way to shoot a car with a rig unless you're using a separate vehicle or dolly system without it not showing in the photo since it has to be attached to the car.

http://www.diyphotography.net/take-cool-car-photos-with-a-diy-specialized-car-rig

Oh neat, well just don't go over any nasty bumps with your camera on that thing. That would be heartbreaking.

I just spent an hour sitting around a VW dealership, nothing really interesting. The CC is pretty cool looking but other than that they don't really make any interesting cars. They remind me of a German version of Toyota. Good cars, but there's nothing really exciting going on right now. They are cheap though i was shocked, for what I paid for my A3 I could have gotten a lot more VW.

I just spent an hour sitting around a VW dealership, nothing really interesting. The CC is pretty cool looking but other than that they don't really make any interesting cars. They remind me of a German version of Toyota. Good cars, but there's nothing really exciting going on right now. They are cheap though i was shocked, for what I paid for my A3 I could have gotten a lot more VW.

The MKV & MKVI GTI & Jetta? 2.0T. With just a chip, you're pushing 250hp and 300ft/lbs tq. It's easy to get them to about 400hp.

And all this in a car that's virtually quite driving at 100mph on the interstate.

The MKV & MKVI GTI & Jetta? 2.0T. With just a chip, you're pushing 250hp and 300ft/lbs tq. It's easy to get them to about 400hp.

And all this in a car that's virtually quite driving at 100mph on the interstate.

You can tune a Saab 9-5 2.3T (high output turbo), to 250hp or higher on stock internals if you want. It only costs you the price of a used ECU and the time it takes to learn how to use T7-Suite (or T5 if you have an older Saab that uses a different BPC Valve.) My Saab moves pretty fast being stock, but I'd really like to tweak some of the boost and the air/fuel ratios.

Do you know if there's any DIY tuning stuff for VW's? Like something you could just flash an ECU with after you connected it to your computer with a BDM interface?

You can tune a Saab 9-5 2.3T (high output turbo), to 250hp or higher on stock internals if you want. It only costs you the price of a used ECU and the time it takes to learn how to use T7-Suite (or T5 if you have an older Saab that uses a different BPC Valve.) My Saab moves pretty fast being stock, but I'd really like to tweak some of the boost and the air/fuel ratios.

Do you know if there's any DIY tuning stuff for VW's? Like something you could just flash an ECU with after you connected it to your computer with a BDM interface?

There's software so you can remap the ecu on your own, but you better know what you're doing. The president of a VW club that used to be around had a MKIV GTI he did all the engine maps and tuning himself.

Yeah, you could easily bork your ride.

Although, if you can remap the ECU on your own for VW's, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find .bin files on tuning forums that give you realistic air/fuel, and boost tunes. That's what I did with my friend's old 9-3. Just ran a few tests with the different .bins and saw how they reacted in the simulation.

Here's what I'm talkin' bouts: Trionic suites

VI, what settings did you use? Did you push the car, or drive it?

Oh neat, well just don't go over any nasty bumps with your camera on that thing. That would be heartbreaking.
Car rig shots are usually made at walking speed, not road speed. ;)

But it's not as realistic! I want to feel the breeze in MY hair as I'm looking at the photo. Not feel like I'm broken down waiting for AAA to come save my butt. :D

VI, what settings did you use? Did you push the car, or drive it?

I believe the camera settings were:
SS: 1 second
Aperture: f/22
ISO: 50

I really need an adjustable ND as the f/22 caused the photo to be really soft and show all the dust I got hanging around.

I have Pocket Wizard PII trigger that I use for my lights, so I purchased the 1/4" to Canon trigger cable and used the PW's to fire the camera. Car was turned off and pushed.

I really need to find a good place to do this at with a better background. I just wanted to test out the equipment last night since I had a willing subject.

Most reactions

Back