Testing new studio setup

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I setup my new studio, been playing with it today, let me know what you think, how I can improve.
For this picture I used 2 strobes with softboxes. One about eye level, one lower, both on my left side.
IMG_9690edit.jpg

maybe its just me.. but i feel like the focus is a little soft... nice idea though

Yes, it looks soft. Since you were shooting with strobes, I assume it was just missed focus.

It's very red, I'd guess that your WB is off.

You typically don't want a main light to be lower than your subject's face. Notice how the nose shadow is cast upward, toward the eye? That's a no-no for most types of portrait lighting. You usually want the camera a little higher as well, so that you aren't shooting up your subject's nose.

Definitely get your keylight higher... in addition to moving the nose shadow, it will help highlight your hair a little bit as well. Your forehead dissappears into nothingness. :lol:

If I may make another suggestion... Put one of your lights away, or take off the softbox and put an umbrella on it. Play with one light at a time first (swap between the box and the 'brella) in different locations, then add a reflector into the mix. In my opinion, and experience, learn one light at a time, then add another one, or more, later for more effects.

Thanks guys. I will revert back to one light for now. I see what you mean about having the light higher, I agree.

The focus could be off a bit, I had my buddy ( assisting me when we do real shoots) take that picture, he does not know much about photography, but he is learning. I guess I should say we are both learning studio photography!

i remember I once couldn't understand why no matter what I did with WB and settings my friend looked red on the picture. When he finally took his RED shirt off - the pic cam out just fine and his skin looked normal.

On your pic the skin is red ;)

i remember I once couldn't understand why no matter what I did with WB and settings my friend looked red on the picture. When he finally took his RED shirt off - the pic cam out just fine and his skin looked normal.
I had the same issue with the lab and kids photography - kid was wearing nothing but a diaper and prints came back with a red tint. I don't use THAT lab anymore.

Originally Posted by IgsEMT
Portrait Lighting
nice website:lol:
thanks.
I didn't make it, but I do like the demonstrations there. Thus if you really want to learn portrait lighting (a-z) it is a good site to start out with. Read up on light ratios, usage of 1 vs 2 lights (no need to look into more lights yet). and learn/know your equipment.

Good Luck

i put that photo in CS4 and i just did a color balance...-50 with the red/cyan slider...and it looked normal fleshtones. I would post it but stupid photobucket is doing maintinance

i put that photo in CS4 and i just did a color balance...-50 with the red/cyan slider...and it looked normal fleshtones. I would post it but stupid photobucket is doing maintinance

Cool, let me know when you can upload.

IMG_9690edit-1.jpg

just a simple adjustment.Still a little reddish but not much else u can do before you lose color everywhere

Most reactions

New Topics

Back