The Art Institute of Phoenix

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Art Institute of Phoenix just opened a program for a B.A in Digital Photography. I am wondering, first, if any one has any experience with the Art Institute (in any city). I am curious about not only the academics, but other factors of the school, like enrollment, advisors, and financial aid.

Second, obviously since i am asking abotu a degree in photography, I habe hopes of having it as my career. RIght now I have my sights on wedding photography, but I could see my self doing any type of photography for a living. Since it is formal education the program would teach a lot and develop my skills, but how would having this degree actually benefit my future in photography. Would it be best to take the 2 or 3 years to get the degree, or use that time to work as an assistant (as some have told me to do) and learn on my own.

Thank you

I don't know about Phoenix but in Seattle it's safe to say you'll be spending a lot of time paying back your student loans. Most people I know with an AI degree are massively in debt and working jobs either unrelated to their field, or low paying jobs within their field. Major in something else at ASU, minor in photography and spend the money you saved on good equipment. Also use your free time wisely and try to shoot with as many experienced shooters as you can.

Wedding photography isn't something you need a degree for but it may make your resume look a bit better. Here is a photographer I've recently come across who is self taught and shoot some amazing wedding shots. If you really want to pursue it, find some good wedding photographers in your area and see if you can be an assistant or second shooter for them.

I agree with Jeramie 100%. I would also say major in something else and minor in photography, if possible. Everything you need to know, you can certainly teach yourself, and I am not sure having a degree in that field will help your cause all that much. It WILL definitely take some dedication on your part, but if you are serious enough, I think you can succeed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back