The Chemically Abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good "GTFO" is always appreciated in a newbie's sixth post in a new forum.........

Derrel said:
A good "GTFO" is always appreciated in a newbie's sixth post in a new forum.........

You don't understand. This guy has a vision.

Unless he's the Ansel Adams of abandonment, I really don't understand the self-hype.

That's about enough of the mental games and bullspit...

According to posts on other forums by this dude, he just bought his camera a couple days ago, and is not allowed to own a gun because of 3 years in prison (since he revealed it, it's not like I'm divulging info he doesn't divulge himself).

Oh, and by the way, the Google Earth map location he posted is of:

Rockland Childrens Psychiatric Center - Orangetown, NY

Latitude: 41° 3'13.61"N
Longitude: 73°58'39.68"W

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF...ens+Psychiatric+Center&iwloc=A&gl=US&hl=en-US

One more thing: His "Project" has already been done by others:

Scouting An Abandoned Mental Asylum: A Visit To The Rockland Psychiatric Center, Part 1 « Scouting NY

Aaaaand, part 2:

Part II: Scouting An Abandoned Mental Asylum – A Visit To The Rockland Psychiatric Center « Scouting NY

Isn;t the whole spooky abandoned psychiatric hospital kind of over done?

It seems that there is something distasteful about it in general as well.

First of all, If you don't like what's in this thread then GTFO.

Second of all, PREVIOUS photos are on a bad memory card, and YES I am going to a NEW Venue tommorrow.

Third of all, I personally don't think any "results" will resolve your Illusory superiority complex

You're probably right. I think I'll just beat the rush and GTFO to.

Old memory card fried. Waiting on a friend of mine that has the backups.

0_o

So you took some photos, backed them up onto someone elses computer? Uhhhhm ok?

It has been the goal of me and my fellow adventurers to preserve the venues. We personally hate when people (mostly teenagers) go to these places, break windows, spray paint everything and ruin it for everyone else.

So you're denying the fact that the human element isn't an active part of urban decay? What exactly are you trying to preserve, and why is it worth preserving? There's nothing you can do that will accurately portray the the history of the place, the kind of care that was provided or the patients who resided there by photographing the abandoned ruins.

You just think it's "cool". So stop all the pretentious baloney. You're just a run of the mill abandoned places photographer/trespassing urban explorer, exploiting the creepy stereotype of "the asylum" rather than making any substantial statement about human ecology, the history of midcentury psychiatric care or the urban landscape.

Old memory card fried. Waiting on a friend of mine that has the backups.

0_o

So you took some photos, backed them up onto someone elses computer? Uhhhhm ok?

It has been the goal of me and my fellow adventurers to preserve the venues. We personally hate when people (mostly teenagers) go to these places, break windows, spray paint everything and ruin it for everyone else.

So you're denying the fact that the human element isn't an active part of urban decay? What exactly are you trying to preserve, and why is it worth preserving? There's nothing you can do that will accurately portray the the history of the place, the kind of care that was provided or the patients who resided there by photographing the abandoned ruins.

You just think it's "cool". So stop all the pretentious baloney. You're just a run of the mill abandoned places photographer/trespassing urban explorer, exploiting the creepy stereotype of "the asylum" rather than making any substantial statement about human ecology, the history of midcentury psychiatric care or the urban landscape.

Don't sugarcoat it,man......lol

Don't care much for dramatic teasers, and even less for trespassing.

edit: snarky portion removed.

Last edited:
Don't sugarcoat it,man......lol

I don't mind abandoned places photography - I don't even mind trespassing provided that the place is in fact unused, that's more of the liability insurance company's beef. But the whole sophomoric artsy line about the "overgrown" and "forgotten" - especially given the cliche nature of the subject - is a bit too much for me.

This is just one of those things that's harder to screw up than it is to do right. The very nature of any abandoned place, especially an abandoned psychiatric facility, is going to be interesting to a lot of people.

It was the mysterious caped crusader kind of impression that I responded to.

My intuition was that, no matter what the images, if there was any critique there would have been a claim that we 'didn't get it' followed by a caped flounce as the artiste left the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back