The Chemically Abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand on here is why is a dead horse beaten to death, over and over again ... it is such a waist of time. I might have to look for higher ground.

Pardon me good sir, but do you know where I might find a dead horse around these parts??? You see, I have a fine willow switch here, stout, solid, and freshly cut, and I am anxious to put it to good use...

What I don't understand on here is why is a dead horse beaten to death, over and over again ... it is such a waist of time. I might have to look for higher ground.

I'm not sure I'm clear on this. Are you referring to "beating a dead horse" in general or specifically to this thread?

I'm a member at Photocamel. I have learned a lot more here than I have over there.

Cool beans if that works for you. I've learnt far more about studio lighting over there from the working professionals than on here. There's sites for everyone out there, man. I love me some TPF but all I'm saying is this is more of a "catch-all" site which is very much needed. We're the Gatekeepers of the internet photography world.

Tee said:
The photographic quality as a whole on PC is far better than anything on here as there are more working professionals on that site. TPF is the strainer for the Internet forum cesspool, catching all the crap and allowing the good stuff to eventually find a more specific forum for their needs. No need to out other forums by full name to help speed that up. ;)

I'm not talking about the quality of the photographs. I'm talking about the quality of the comments.

As long as your photo is in focus and properly exposed to a certain extent, you will get at least 5-6 "wow great shot!"s

But in terms of the photography...

I've found that, as a result, many of the weekend warriors turned pro with their 6 months of photo experience who TPF tends to run off go over there and get the comments they're looking for.

And the "actual" professionals there aren't very inspiring. Many of them are Olan Mills type photographers, which isn't my bag.

I'll take an average photographer trying something new over generic professional photos any day.

Quality is a rather vague term.

Content > Subject Matter > Technical Prowess is how I measure quality.

Last edited:
TPF is the strainer for the Internet forum cesspool, catching all the crap ;)

But, you're here?

Of course I am! I love this place. I was merely saying (in an over the top manner) that since TPF 99% of the time ranks first in photography forum searches we get more than the usual "I'm new and want to go pro" members than the other forums. Hence we are catching more of the issues allowing other forums to take on a different dynamic than ours. We should be heralded as heroes.

Yes, that's right.
I like/love the relatively civil rough and tumble here.
It gets boring at the extremes where people either don't know or don't tell the truth or when jerks take over.

Lately, thanks to the mods, this place is a decent place for people to post.
Now if we could just get everyone to join in and elevate their game, not so much in what they post but what they say about their own posts and others.

Yes, that's right.
I like/love the relatively civil rough and tumble here.
It gets boring at the extremes where people either don't know or don't tell the truth or when jerks take over.

Lately, thanks to the mods, this place is a decent place for people to post.
Now if we could just get everyone to join in and elevate their game, not so much in what they post but what they say about their own posts and others.

We will get there slowly but surely. I have utmost faith in this awesome place.. There may be homes (aka forums) for everyone but this one is the one I choose to come to most. I just visit the other places. My family is here (in a manner of speaking). This is the best forum for photography on the internet; there may be other good ones out there but no other TPF.

It has always been that a photographer got hired because the client believed they were going to do the best job..... so help others get to that level. I have a friend that is really a good animal photographer and could turn pro with the quality of his work but he loves his career but always wants to take the best pictures possible.... on a pro level. Most nubes photographers want to get better and should be judged how well they did for their level and what they could do to improve. So help them improve and this site will attract good people.

There are times when I wonder what I'm still doing here. Then there are times when I wonder why I haven't been here.

'Tis my circle, currently at the former.

Last edited:
I've watched this for 7 pages and haven't said a word, but before I run out of blood due to biting my lip, I have to say..."I don't get this thread AT ALL!". Title this thread "A photo documentary an abandoned hospital" and I'm with you. There could be an interest. But for me, that's where it ends. Trying to make the thread "cooler" by consistantly referencing being high on weed isn't working for me either.
As far as this particular subject, I'm with Unpopular. I'm not sure how tasteful or "cool" this thread would be for someone who had a loved one spend any time in one of these places. Mental hospitals may very well become a little less photogenic to those people. 'nuff said. I'm back out.

You ARE joking…right? I mean, I’m sure you’re not suggesting that anything controversial or that may offend someone is a taboo subject that photographers MUST ignore…surely…

I don't care any way way about the subject matter but I still believe the same way I did back at the beginning.
It seems to me that the OP is waging some massive posturing bull$hit here.
He doesn't seem interested in working at his photos, he doesn't seem willing to do things we way we know it works and he is unresponsive to issues about the pictures.

Seriously…he’s not taking his photos in the officially correct fashion?

What I do get back is that he sees himself as some sort of urban adventurer, fighting his physical ills with weed and, even in the throes of baked-dom, capturing these photos.

Nah, I care about pictures not attitude.

Well, maybe, but only if they are taken in the exact way you specified as correct…right?

When I see him posting pictures the way that it works for us here, responding about his pictures, repressing that line of bullcr@p that oozes out at every opportunity then I'd be willing to pitch in and help someone who wants and needs it.

As my last wife said as she went out the door, 'I'm leaving you for anyone else.'

There’s a telling comment…

I'm not seeing anything new in the work here, at all. I am seeing recycled cliches and ideas.

Wow, you do surprise me…and here I was thinking every time a photographer gets his/her camera out and shoots something, it’s the first time this subject has been covered…

Still, they're a fair workmanlike job at recycling the cliches and ideas, and these are (mostly) cliches and ideas that aren't too bad. Heavy vignetting is the cliche that pops out as "amateur, and lousy" but the rest of it ain't bad. Kid's got a bit of an eye. No ideas, but an eye. Most of us don't have any ideas, though.

Obviously, from reading this thread, you have all stroked your ego’s sufficiently that my comments shouldn’t make too much of a dent in them so…

Way to go to trash someone who’s work isn’t actually bad at all…

Take only pictures. Leave only foot prints

You want cliché, there’s one right there…

And, seeing as they OP does NOTHING to suggest they are doing anything other than documenting in photos, why the need to post it…twice…

Maybe someone should just leave only footprints on your arse…

And, why are people ascribing urban vandalism to this person, just because they shoot abandoned buildings? Do you ascribe vehicular manslaughter to automotive photographers?

Yes, the OP is openly stating use of ‘weed’…so what; you’re supposed to be critiquing the photos, not the life choices of the photographer…

At least he’s out there doing something… while most of you are just in here slagging him off…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back