The Coffee House

Another glorious Thursday morning in doo-dah. Perfect fall weather once again.
thursday-comment-graphics-pictures-photos-images-for-sharing-on-facebook-profile-wall-good-morning-starbucks-teddy-bear.jpg

Nothing like a hot cup of coffee and a warm sweater sitting on the deck watching the morning sun creep across the landscape.

I've had a lot of success with craigslist...music stuff and camera stuff both. I usually meet people in very public places, although that doesn't always work for things like amplifiers and the like. I use Walmart or grocery store parking lots pretty frequently, because there are lots of people and usually cameras. A lot of the local police stations here will also let you use their parking lots for transactions.

I'm trying to get one more round of golf in this weekend, although the weather looks like it might be gross. We have Gary's marine layer for the next few days -- the easterly winds are blowing in off the ocean 15-2o mph sustained, and it's supposed to rain some tomorrow. I do like, though, when the wind blows from that directions. My neighborhood smelled like salt and seaweed this morning.

Mornin, hosers. Traveling again... Hour and 40 from home each way... And I'll be traveling home at night in deer territory.

The one shitty thing about this job: The camera settings are set in stone (for, obviously, consistency), and there's no changing them (the control wheels are taped over and the selector knob is locked down). And it's Nikon. lol

I've avoided buying or selling anything on CL because of all of the horror stories that I've heard. When I wanted to sell some furniture a few years ago my brother recommended using CL but I was not letting some stranger into our home. Such a shame that there are so many scumbags out there. Glad you are ok.

Noooooo, no no no no, you are totally right! I understand it's difficult with furniture, but there are ways to make that public. For example, you could rent a storage unit for a couple of weeks and let people look at the furniture there. You could even ask for the facility manager to be present for the transaction.

I've had a lot of success with craigslist...music stuff and camera stuff both. I usually meet people in very public places, although that doesn't always work for things like amplifiers and the like. I use Walmart or grocery store parking lots pretty frequently, because there are lots of people and usually cameras. A lot of the local police stations here will also let you use their parking lots for transactions.

This ^^^ Public places. Always. The one time I did buy something from Craigslist, I met the guy at Grand Central. Anywhere with people and cameras. Good to know that a police station parking lot could be a possibility. I am not looking to buy or sell anything at the moment, but the information might come in handy one day, who knows?

Oh yeah. Morning, hosers.

It's headache time.

Mornin, hosers. Traveling again... Hour and 40 from home each way... And I'll be traveling home at night in deer territory.

The one shitty thing about this job: The camera settings are set in stone (for, obviously, consistency), and there's no changing them (the control wheels are taped over and the selector knob is locked down). And it's Nikon. lol
d822cad9fe4788cf5060cfd46cefa266.jpg

Gary has had nothing but good luck with CL. Gary's desktop, laptop, 200mm and most recently his speakers are all CL. Most police stations out here don't mind having the transaction performed in the station and some have even a CL room. You will find Gary doing business at Panera, Starbucks and even Philippe's, a landmark Resturant in LA. Tuesday, Gary drove to the seller's condo in Sherman Oaks to complete the speaker transaction. Gary needs to call him and let him know how happy Gary is with the speakers. A real nice guy.

Last edited:
I've avoided buying or selling anything on CL because of all of the horror stories that I've heard. When I wanted to sell some furniture a few years ago my brother recommended using CL but I was not letting some stranger into our home. Such a shame that there are so many scumbags out there. Glad you are ok.
Huh... I've purchased many of my lenses through CL as well as a lot of grip gear, reflectors, backgrounds.... probably in excess of half my gear has been bought from Craig and I've never had a problem.

What job is this?

Huh... I've purchased many of my lenses through CL as well as a lot of grip gear, reflectors, backgrounds.... probably in excess of half my gear has been bought from Craig and I've never had a problem.

I used to buy stuff of craigslist, not so much anymore. Problem with CL at least in my local area is that especially when it comes to photography gear people want some pretty outrageous prices for used stuff, so much so that you can often buy new cheaper.

When you try to contact them and point out that they might have paid $900 for their D5100 years ago but that doesn't mean it's still worth anywhere near that much now, they generally get very upset and accuse you of "lowballing". So yup, got out of the habit of checking craigslist.

Noooooo, no no no no, you are totally right! I understand it's difficult with furniture, but there are ways to make that public. For example, you could rent a storage unit for a couple of weeks and let people look at the furniture there. You could even ask for the facility manager to be present for the transaction.

Never though of the storage unit option, good idea. In the end it worked out great. I happened to ask my hairdresser if she knew anyone looking for a bedroom set and it turned out that she was! We traded the furniture for services. I got 8 free cut/color/highlights which was almost 2 years of free appointments - at a salon that would be at least $200 per for me... she got the furniture without having to spend any money. We both felt like we got a great deal. My daughter barters her babysitting services for hair cuts with her now.

Sorry about the headache.

I used to buy stuff of craigslist, not so much anymore. Problem with CL at least in my local area is that especially when it comes to photography gear people want some pretty outrageous prices for used stuff, so much so that you can often buy new cheaper.

When you try to contact them and point out that they might have paid $900 for their D5100 years ago but that doesn't mean it's still worth anywhere near that much now, they generally get very upset and accuse you of "lowballing". So yup, got out of the habit of checking craigslist.
I don't worry too much about those ads; I cruise for the good deals.They don't come along very often, generally only a couple of times a year, but when they do... such as the absolutely mint 85 1.4 AFD which I picked up for $600.

For smaller portable stuff where you can meet publicly, then sure as long as you're feeling safe about the location. There were many stories about CL "buyers" showing up to look at furniture for sale and casing the place to come back later to rob it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back