The Coffee House

Huh... I've purchased many of my lenses through CL as well as a lot of grip gear, reflectors, backgrounds.... probably in excess of half my gear has been bought from Craig and I've never had a problem.

For smaller portable stuff where you can meet publicly, then sure as long as you're feeling safe about the location. There were many stories about CL "buyers" showing up to look at furniture for sale and casing the place to come back later to rob it.
See there again, no issue. Anyone that came out to look at something at my house would just walk away quietly and leave a $20 on the hall table out of sympathy!

Gary would be reluctant to have a transaction at his home. (You never know who might be a Health Inspector. Once you're on the Hazardous Waste Site list it is hell to get off.)

Noooooo, no no no no, you are totally right! I understand it's difficult with furniture, but there are ways to make that public. For example, you could rent a storage unit for a couple of weeks and let people look at the furniture there. You could even ask for the facility manager to be present for the transaction.

Never though of the storage unit option, good idea. In the end it worked out great. I happened to ask my hairdresser if she knew anyone looking for a bedroom set and it turned out that she was! We traded the furniture for services. I got 8 free cut/color/highlights which was almost 2 years of free appointments - at a salon that would be at least $200 per for me... she got the furniture without having to spend any money. We both felt like we got a great deal. My daughter barters her babysitting services for hair cuts with her now.

Sorry about the headache.

Okay, that right there is an awesome deal!! Good for you!

(And thanks :1251: Luckily coffee helps, so I have a good excuse to have lots of it today!)

Gary would be reluctant to have a transaction at his home. (You never know who might be a Health Inspector. Once you're on the Hazardous Waste Site list it is hell to get off.)

Wait, so you can get off that list? Really? How?
Large and many contributions to your federal elected officials ... Even then it was a pain. (Gary discovered that lead paint heavily applied, will mask radioactivity ... at least it minimizes the glow.)

Large and many contributions to your federal elected officials ... Even then it was a pain. (Gary discovered that lead paint heavily applied, will mask radioactivity ... at least it minimizes the glow.)

Well I was actually saving up for a new lens, but then I've never actually bought a state official before so that might be interesting.

Well I was actually saving up for a new lens, but then I've never actually bought a state official before so that might be interesting.
Unless you know what you are going to do with them after you buy them, I would go for the lens instead. Better investment in the long run.

Just wanted to add a quick thought for all of the TPF folks and their families in the NJ/NY area. Serious train crash at Hoboken. Travel safe friends!

So I'm going to buy my wife her own camera for Christmas...I had been thinking about getting her a Nikon D5200 with a DX fast zoom like the Sigma 17-70mm or the 17-50mm. KEH is having a big sale today, so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. I was thinking the 5XXX over the 3xxx because I think she'd appreciate the articulating screen.

Then I thought...if I'm buying a DX lens anyways, should I look at something mirrorless for her instead? She might be more comfortable with something smaller (although she likes the way my D600 feels in her hand). Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? Only catch is she wouldn't be able to use any of my lenses, but honestly, none of them would be terribly practical on a DX camera anyways.

So I'm going to buy my wife her own camera for Christmas...I had been thinking about getting her a Nikon D5200 with a DX fast zoom like the Sigma 17-70mm or the 17-50mm. KEH is having a big sale today, so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. I was thinking the 5XXX over the 3xxx because I think she'd appreciate the articulating screen.

Then I thought...if I'm buying a DX lens anyways, should I look at something mirrorless for her instead? She might be more comfortable with something smaller (although she likes the way my D600 feels in her hand). Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? Only catch is she wouldn't be able to use any of my lenses, but honestly, none of them would be terribly practical on a DX camera anyways.

Id go with the D5200. Marriage is all about sharing. Especially lenses.

Loved the articulating screen on the 5100 and it's my only regret after upgrading. I thought the Sigma 17-70 and the 5100 were a great pair so I'm sure the 5300 would be even better with it. The 17-70 is good because it can get in really close so you can take "marco" ish shots and it's not super heavy. I've found 17-70 to be a great walk around focal range. It's the lens that's on my camera 90% of the time.

Sorry, this, um, peanut can't help. This is me when people start talking about digital gear:

animals,captionit,cat,cute,animal,cats-4a75f1dec98aa01b8310daf2e3ce7518_h.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back