The Coffee House

Man it's still cold as the f*cking Antarctic.

Had a pretty good day at work. Had some REALLY cranky people, of course, but that's retail after Christmas.
Remember, Antarctica is in the Southern hemisphere so it has just turned the equivalent of summer, there. :p

Well, the latest storm is pretty much a non-issue for us in the Northeast, though I am quite enjoying the drop in temperatures. Not only do I like it anyway, but it also makes a huge difference driving on my snow tires. Just a few days ago, it was in the high 40s and it felt like I was driving on jelly doughnuts. I was so annoyed - I did NOT buy a brand new Mazda just to be the one poking along in the slow lane because I constantly feel like I'm seconds away from drifting off the road!

But temperatures make a big difference and once it dipped back into the 20s and low 30s, driving became fun again :)

And for the record, the Mazda's name is Oliver when he's being pokey and recalcitrant. She turns back into Alice when she goes zoom zoom :) (Yes, my car is gender-fluid :801: )

I mean, still not really an issue for me because I'll do what I need to do regardless...but our forecast has been creeping up by the hour it seems. They were talking nothing on Wednesday, maybe an inch or two yesterday, and our latest forecast was for 8 inches of snow (and maybe as much as a foot).

I am supposed to be about 30 miles north east of here for most of the day tomorrow. If I still have to make the drive, my wife's Subaru allows me to turn on my classical music, crank the seat heater, and relax the entire way.

Maybe because you're closer to the coast than I am? The forecast fore here says a 40% chance of snow flurries for about 3 hours or so tomorrow afternoon.

I almost got a Subaru.

Maybe...and around 100 miles east.

My prefer my wife's car in wintry weather...but otherwise, it's soulless. My days are numbered though. With kid #2 on the way, my Mazda will unfortunately be looking for work by the summer probably. I straight-up can't fit a carseat behind the driver's seat in any sort of way that will allow me to use the clutch.

Made it to St L, with the next leg due to begin in about 45 minutes.

Supposed to get some more snow tonight, into tomorrow afternoon. :D

Maybe...and around 100 miles east.

My prefer my wife's car in wintry weather...but otherwise, it's soulless. My days are numbered though. With kid #2 on the way, my Mazda will unfortunately be looking for work by the summer probably. I straight-up can't fit a carseat behind the driver's seat in any sort of way that will allow me to use the clutch.

Just get a bigger Mazda! :D There's the 6, of course, though that's just in the sedan. Which is fine, but generally prefer hatches or coupes. Then there's the CX-3, which isn't really that much bigger than my 3 hatch. And it's got 4-wheel drive.

You described why I ultimately decided against the Impreza. I'd probably love it the handful of times I had to drive through a storm, but the rest of the year, driving it would be meh at best.

You need a family size car. And don't bother with the crossovers as you will not be able to fit all your stuff and your car seats and your kids. I highly recommend the Honda Pilot. It's a typical family suv but it's got some juice when you hit the gas. Got to have something with some pick up! There's plenty of room for 5 passengers with a hatch full of stuff which is great for a beach day or a long road trip. When needed, and with kids it is needed at some point, you can fit driver plus 7 passengers.

Rhonda the Honda is already taken but you could name yours Sully.

Gary was hoping to roast some coffee today ... but was too busy. Gary was up on the roof again trying to track down and kill the minor leak, a few drops actually, from the middle of the patio roof. A can ana half of Henry's and two cans of that rubber spray which turns your screen door into a boat. Big rain coming in on Monday. If those drops return, Gary will need to escalate the matter. Gary took down the outdoor lighting, planted a half dozen tomatoes and three peppers, packed up the tree, rearranged the patio furniture, walked the pooch three miles and later pumped out a quick two miles on the treadmill. Gary is beat and deserves the wine he is now sipping.

Last edited:
You need a family size car. And don't bother with the crossovers as you will not be able to fit all your stuff and your car seats and your kids. I highly recommend the Honda Pilot. It's a typical family suv but it's got some juice when you hit the gas. Got to have something with some pick up! There's plenty of room for 5 passengers with a hatch full of stuff which is great for a beach day or a long road trip. When needed, and with kids it is needed at some point, you can fit driver plus 7 passengers.

Rhonda the Honda is already taken but you could name yours Sully.

Yeah, the Pilot is on the shortlist with the Mazda CX-9, the Toyota Highlander, the Dodge Durango, and maybe the three-row Subaru that is supposed to be released this year. Who knows...we almost bought a mini-van when we bought the Outback. So that might be on the table too, but I'd rather have AWD if I'm going to be driving a large vehicle.

Looks like I'll be making that drive today. Always fun.

Ugh, hosers, my freaking back is still sore. What the hell, man. I've been taking it easy for the past week even.

I'm working for Lifetouch for the last time today. Then it's full on to working on trying to get a promotion at the jewelry store. I wanna be a manager, but I need to finish training first before I jump the gun on this stuff.

Touched down in DC with no incidents, got home with only a minor stop at Krispy Kreme. I have a creme filled doughnut with this morning's k-cup.

December 2016 POTM voting is posted. I had it put together when I left but didn't take a real computer on the trip. I like to leave the nominations open for a few days to catch any stragglers.

Ugh, hosers, my freaking back is still sore. What the hell, man. I've been taking it easy for the past week even.

I'm working for Lifetouch for the last time today. Then it's full on to working on trying to get a promotion at the jewelry store. I wanna be a manager, but I need to finish training first before I jump the gun on this stuff.

Have you been to the doctor? I frequently need muscle relaxers & anti-inflammatories. Heating pad might help, too.
Good luck on the job.

Interesting how many Americans love Japanese or Korean cars. They are quite popular in Europe too but nothing beats the Germans here when it comes to sales.

Interesting how many Americans love Japanese or Korean cars. They are quite popular in Europe too but nothing beats the Germans here when it comes to sales.

Maintenance cost on German cars here is ridiculous...even on the cheaper Volkswagens. My family owned a TDI Jetta wagon for over a decade...it did get close to 50mpg before we changed our diesel fuel, but even an oil change was over $100. Independent mechanics didn't like working on it, and parts were scarce. Getting the clutch replaced was a 2.5 week ordeal.

That being said, if I had the cash, I'd totally buy an Audi. But the similar one to the cars I listed above cost almost twice as much, and while the fit, finish, and maybe driving characteristics are nicer, the reliability according to independent testing here is worse.

Plus, save for their work van and their Hilux, all my relatives in England drive French cars.

Then again, they are sheep farmers haha

Definitely see a good chiropractor. Saved me when I threw my back out. But get someone who is recommended, lots of hacks in that field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back