The Coffee House

So sorry for your loss Gary. It’s sad that they’re only in our lives for a short time compared to humans. I hope you find comfort that you gave her such a loving and happy home.

Your new family member looks like a sweetie pie. Looking forward to photos of your new adventures with Maggie.
Thank you Peg.
IMG_5043.JPG

Cook is here in the yard, where she will always be with us. This was a favorite spot for Cook. She had flattened out the interior of a leafy plant (top of photo) and would snuggle in there where she could see out but others couldn't see in. The roses were from a neighbor.

Buenas Dias Coffee Hosers. Gary has some sad but also happy news to share.

Sadly, about a month ago, Cookie (AKA The Cook), passed. She was 14 years old and her kidneys simply wore out. She was an incredible companion and my best friend. Cook and Gary did everything together.

Gary made a gallery in honor and memory of The Cook.

The%20Cook-XL.jpg

Cook in her summer coiffure.

MLP-Cookie%203-X2.jpg

Cook in winter.

Cook and Friends:
IMG_9871A-M.jpg

S0030010-L.jpg

IMG_0625-L.jpg

IMG_9526-X3.jpg

IMG_0588-L.jpg

_1020875-XL.jpg

Okay ... now Gary is tearing up ...

S0761372-L.jpg

Rest In Peace sweet Cook.
Sorry for your loss

Honestly, it is still a bit soon for another dog. But the world turns and it happened. Gary still feels a severe wound over losing Cook. But Mary Lou and Gary knew that when it came time for a dog, that we would want another Wheaten. We recognized that we could never replace Cookie. Cookie was unquestionably and by any measure, the greatest dog in the world. While I recognize another Wheaten will not duplicate all of the extraordinary specialness of our 'Cookie', hopefully, it will have similar traits of intelligence, spunk, fun, love and even the terrier quirks that we miss so much.

A Wheaten is not a common breed in the USA, (the breed originated in Ireland). We did not want a dog from a puppy mill. Private breeders of Wheaten are few and far between. After a bit of research, we realized that in order to get a Wheaten pup next year, we would have to sign up and make a deposit this year. So were started sending out email and filling out multi-page questionnaires. We found a pup in Texas, but we desired to see the pup in person before making a decision. After a few weeks of emails and phone calls, one thing lead to another and just by happenstance, we stumbled upon a private breeder in Riverside who was willing to part with a ten week female pup. We meet the pups (there were two females) and after a long discussion amongst ourselves, decided better now than later. Gary does know that Cook would have loved to have instructed Maggie how how to best care for her humans.

Sadly, about a month ago, Cookie (AKA The Cook), passed. She was 14 years old and her kidneys simply wore out. She was an incredible companion and my best friend. Cook and Gary did everything together.

The%20Cook-XL.jpg

MLP-Cookie%203-X2.jpg

Cook in winter.

Cook and Friends:
IMG_9871A-M.jpg

S0030010-L.jpg

IMG_0625-L.jpg

IMG_9526-X3.jpg

IMG_0588-L.jpg

_1020875-XL.jpg

S0761372-L.jpg

Sorry for your loss
Thank you Logan. Gary is very grateful to have shared his life with Cookie for 14 years.

Near the end, when Cook was unable to take her, until then, daily morning walk, a neighbor came by walking her dog. She stopped and we chatted about Cookie and I explained that she wasn't doing well and the neighbor stated that Cookie was an institution in the neighborhood. It's funny, but more people knew Cookie's name than the name of her humans (Mary Lou and Gary). One day Gary and Cook were driving in an adjacent city, Brea, on a four lane highway. While stopped at a red light, Cook's head was out the window, when another car pulled up to the light, rolled down the window and inquired if that was Cookie. Gary, of course, affirmed that indeed it was The Cook then we drove away. To this day Gary doesn't know who that person was.
I'm so sorry!! Having just gone through this a year ago with Odin, I know how anguishing it was for you and Mary Lou. :heartpump: These posts with the pictures are tough to make, but thank you for letting us know.

And welcome to little Maggie.

The%20Cook-XL.jpg

MLP-Cookie%203-X2.jpg

Cook in winter.

Cook and Friends:
IMG_9871A-M.jpg

S0030010-L.jpg

IMG_0625-L.jpg

IMG_9526-X3.jpg

IMG_0588-L.jpg

_1020875-XL.jpg

S0761372-L.jpg

:(:icon_hug:

Near the end, when Cook was unable to take her, until then, daily morning walk, a neighbor came by walking her dog. She stopped and we chatted about Cookie and I explained that she wasn't doing well and the neighbor stated that Cookie was an institution in the neighborhood. It's funny, but more people knew Cookie's name than the name of her humans (Mary Lou and Gary). One day Gary and Cook were driving in an adjacent city, Brea, on a four lane highway. While stopped at a red light, Cook's head was out the window, when another car pulled up to the light, rolled down the window and inquired if that was Cookie. Gary, of course, affirmed that indeed it was The Cook then we drove away. To this day Gary doesn't know who that person was.
I'm so sorry!! Having just gone through this a year ago with Odin, I know how anguishing it was for you and Mary Lou. :heartpump: These posts with the pictures are tough to make, but thank you for letting us know.

And welcome to little Maggie.
Thank you Terri.

GRAS5410-L.jpg

The Cook wine tasting in the Alexander Valley. She developed a palate for reds.

Hopefully, I have many more years with my pup, but I still remember going with my mom to put down my childhood dog. It was one of the hardest mornings of my life. I’m glad Cook brought you so many good memories, and I’m sure Maggie will too.

My parents, after many years without a dog, picked up their puppy yesterday. I couldn’t help but go visit this morning, so I’ll be introducing her later.

Hopefully, I have many more years with my pup, but I still remember going with my mom to put down my childhood dog. It was one of the hardest mornings of my life. I’m glad Cook brought you so many good memories, and I’m sure Maggie will too.

My parents, after many years without a dog, picked up their puppy yesterday. I couldn’t help but go visit this morning, so I’ll be introducing her later.
IMG_5045.JPG

Cook as a pup.

Gary has forgotten how much wonderfulness there is in a pup.

Lovely dog, Cookie! I am glad that I had the chance to get to know her. You have found a nice place to bury her. All the best to Mary-Lou also.

Frank

Not at the schools Gary attended

There was always something going on at my school, but between work, school and sports there wasn't any time to participate. I feel cheated!!!!:biggrin-93:

@davidharmier60 can't stand Pro football, but I do love to watch HS and college. If you really want to be entertained, go to a peewee game. They are hilarious

Not at the schools Gary attended

There was always something going on at my school, but between work, school and sports there wasn't any time to participate. I feel cheated!!!!:biggrin-93:
Lol ... in the greed and whoring ...? Don't worry, plenty of us filled your spot.

@Gary A. I've been thinking about your Cook and was afraid to ask. So sorry for your loss. Though nothing will ever replace the bond you had, take heart that a new though different bond will quickly form with the new fur kid.

Most reactions

Back