The Coffee House

I don't know about Wade, but I'm going to have to fix that first clause to say "IF you ever get a chance to retire..."

My father died at 62 without ever getting the chance to enjoy the fruits of his labor. I on the other hand always view work as a means to an end. Early on my goal was to retire comfortably at 55. Throughout my work career I concentrated on doing those things I was good at rather than what I enjoyed. I missed the goal by 2 years, retired at 57. Unfortunately had to come out of retirement partially 2 years later when medical expenses threatened to rapidly deplete the savings. At least I was able to work from where ever I had my laptop, and cell phone, in a manner that didn't totally tie me down.

It's sad that your father died so young. My own father lived well past retirement, though he didn't really stop working. He was a large-machinery mechanic, worked for the union. He actually retired when I was still in single-digits, I think (he was already 54 when I was born) but because he had a good reputation and had skills that few people did in the area, he kept working on things that people would bring to him: flatbeds, cement mixers, well-drilling rigs. I spend my childhood climbing on trucks, dodging welding sparks, and breathing in a lot of diesel fumes :laughing: There was so much oil and fuel soaked into the back yard that it took years for grass to start growing again after he finally stopped taking jobs.

As for me, I've taken a long round-about way to a 'steady' job, so there's no way I'll be able to retire in my 50s. Luckily there is a way for me to "buy back" the time I worked as an adjunct when money was not being put into a retirement fund and add it to my official total that counts towards when I can retire from this job with a pension.

So yeah, I'm late to the game, but then again, the time I spent getting here was not time wasted. :)
My father was forced, by the people, into retirement ... term limits. lol

I love your dog's long fluffy tail Sharon! that is so cute. Maybe Maggie and Xing is it? should get on Facebook and chat. Or no, Skype, then they could see each other! And probably think what is this dumb thing my person is shoving in front of me?!

My mom is a very very young 75. She still works full time for a catering company/deli. Been there 40+ years. She does not need to work, but she enjoys it. She likes the social aspects of getting out every day and seeing customers that she’s known for years and coworkers that she really likes. She thinks that if she retires she’ll get “old”. I wish she’d scale it back just a bit but she’s even more stubborn than my teenager so I’m losing that battle. I think if she had more hobbies or more friends her age that were as active as she is she would not work as much. People assume she’s in her 60’s because of her energy level and her health.

Different strokes for different folks. My best friend's Dad was like a 2nd father to me. He owned a lumber yard/hardware refused to retire because he enjoyed the constant stream of customers and friends. When his family finally forced him out in his late 80's within a month he was gone.

'The Falcon' movies all day. I'll watch just about any '40s detective movie, even though they're now into the ones with the brother instead of the original. But still, movies in B&W, big ol' cars, and hats.

Darn, I missed that! Well, I've seen it enough times... I read they rewrote that because Bogey and Bacall were such a hit, and added to the original story. That seems to explain why the plot at times seems confusing and I'm still going, now who is that guy again?

Leo, I had a couple of coworkers who did the buy back thing, because of having stopped working for a few years when their kids were little or relocating for a time due to a spouse's job, etc. Seemed do-able for them.

Our retirement had changed and it was at a different percentage between 30-35 years; I'd planned on about mid 50's and was in countdown mode already! Having the stroke pushed mine forward since I barely had 31 years in; but the good thing was the job had changed to a 12 month position and I had my minimum 3 years at that pay level, so ended up about where I would've been had the job stayed 9 months.

That wasn't convoluted or anything. That's what comes from working in education, working for a county agency, etc. etc. Can't say I miss it, now it's like having summers off year round!

'The Falcon' movies all day. I'll watch just about any '40s detective movie, even though they're now into the ones with the brother instead of the original. But still, movies in B&W, big ol' cars, and hats.
Gary watched The Big Sleep yesterday!

I had A Big Nap yesterday, does that count ;)

Leo, I had a couple of coworkers who did the buy back thing, because of having stopped working for a few years when their kids were little or relocating for a time due to a spouse's job, etc. Seemed do-able for them.

Yeah, everyone I talk to says I really need to do it. I am just waiting for a few things to settle so I know how I have to budget for it. I expect to be putting in paperwork in January or so.

Do it!!! lol

I didn't have to do any buy back, I worked straight thru on our state teachers' retirement, but not everybody does. One thing that's good too is if someone comes into it later like my mom did (worked as a sec'y then I don't remember what for a county voc/tech school) then at a certain age + certain number of years the person can retire in the system. Maybe not full retirement though like those of us who schlepped thru it forever... (it seems!) but my mom has a decent retirement along with whatever my dad has from his job.

He’s very overdue for a groom! Usually cut him short at the beginning of August but have just been trimming his nails and giving him baths at home. Going to go online right now and make an appointment for him for this week.

Look how straggly

View attachment 149262

great light
great colors

Do it!!! lol

Yes, ma'am! :D

I have been working straight through, too, but adjuncts don't pay into their state retirement fund. I can't remember if they can't or if you have to meet a certain threshold, or it would a different kind of account...I don't know, it's all very confusing. Remember, I am dealing with academia AND government AND unions, so absolutely none of this makes any kind of sense at all ;)

I'm actually pretty worried about my pension here in CT. They just upped our annual contribution by 1% (which I'd be fine with if it actually went to our pension accounts...but it's going to the general fund), and there are significant issues with it's funding and maintenance. I have a feeling that it won't be around by the time I'm looking to retire.

If it is though...I'll make sure to get some adjunct work at the community colleges before I retire. My average salary that I've payed in is higher than it would be because I was able to pay into my account for my adjunct work too.

I had A Big Nap yesterday, does that count ;)

I also had a very nice nap yesterday. I'm not a good napper. I usually wake up disoriented and feeling hung over with out the fun memories. I blame the whole Fall Back nonsense for how tired I was.

I started my current career at 30 so won't be retiring "early". My current plan puts me on track to fully retire in 10 years - Princess will be done with college and grad school, my house will be paid for and I'll be old enough to start taking money from my retirement accounts penalty free. I'll still be young enough to enjoy some traveling before I settle down in a nice little cottage by the ocean with a couple of small yappy dogs and an inappropriately young boyfriend.

Hmm, I haven't gotten to the inappropriately young boyfriend part. When does that happen?!?

I don't know how 'adjunct' anything works here. But none of it is supposed to actually make sense is it?? lol

A coworker said we had a Redundancy Department of Redundancy. I think the state may have two of those.

Laughed way too hard at this. I must be bored.

how-many-lowes-could-rob-lowe-rob.jpg

Speaking to retirement accounts, when I worked gov't, I had a state retirement system. Then, moved to private, which is a kind of DIY system. I try to increase my contributions on a yearly basis, but it doesn't always happen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back