The Coffee House

I'm actually pretty worried about my pension here in CT.

It really burns me that some states act really irresponsibly with their employees and retirement funds. Frankly there needs to be some criminal charges in some of them. Our oldest son, has been a Federal employee for many years, and has never had any concerns. Our daughter works for the state of Illinois, and it's one thing after another. Last summer she had to work for well over a month without pay, or find another job (because she was considered an essential employee), while the state tried to figure out a budget and borrow more money. She did so on the promise that she would receive the pay as soon as the budget was passed. Then instead of paying her, they came in and told her that she would receive it a little bit at a time over several months until they caught up. She's almost afraid to check on her retirement account.

I'll still be young enough to enjoy some traveling before I settle down in a nice little cottage by the ocean with a couple of small yappy dogs and an inappropriately young boyfriend.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!! You might need two young boyfriends so you can swap off, you know how so many young people today lack the stamina! LOL

My mom is a very very young 75. She still works full time for a catering company/deli. Been there 40+ years. She does not need to work, but she enjoys it. She likes the social aspects of getting out every day and seeing customers that she’s known for years and coworkers that she really likes. She thinks that if she retires she’ll get “old”. I wish she’d scale it back just a bit but she’s even more stubborn than my teenager so I’m losing that battle. I think if she had more hobbies or more friends her age that were as active as she is she would not work as much. People assume she’s in her 60’s because of her energy level and her health.

Different strokes for different folks. My best friend's Dad was like a 2nd father to me. He owned a lumber yard/hardware refused to retire because he enjoyed the constant stream of customers and friends. When his family finally forced him out in his late 80's within a month he was gone.
Unfortunately, Gary sees that happen all the time. "March or Die" as they say in the Legion.

Do it!!! lol

I didn't have to do any buy back, I worked straight thru on our state teachers' retirement, but not everybody does. One thing that's good too is if someone comes into it later like my mom did (worked as a sec'y then I don't remember what for a county voc/tech school) then at a certain age + certain number of years the person can retire in the system. Maybe not full retirement though like those of us who schlepped thru it forever... (it seems!) but my mom has a decent retirement along with whatever my dad has from his job.
Mary Lou will be bringing home more money in retirement than when she was employed.

Good for her! Wonder how she managed that!

I joke about working for a county agency, but ours was actually pretty good. The only thing we were directly under 'The COUNTY' for were our paychecks and insurance (I think) and for most everything else our agency had a separate board, separate funding (county, state, federal), etc.

We had years that step increases were deferred from fall until the first of the year (due to a levy or some such thing), which didn't affect me because I'd been there so freakin' long I was past annual increases! lol

Oh yeah, our mileage, that had to go 'downtown' eventually because all county agencies had to process and approve and send it on to 'The COUNTY'. And the guy who signed our paychecks was also a part time weekend DJ on an oldies station.

I'm actually pretty worried about my pension here in CT.

It really burns me that some states act really irresponsibly with their employees and retirement funds. Frankly there needs to be some criminal charges in some of them. Our oldest son, has been a Federal employee for many years, and has never had any concerns. Our daughter works for the state of Illinois, and it's one thing after another. Last summer she had to work for well over a month without pay, or find another job (because she was considered an essential employee), while the state tried to figure out a budget and borrow more money. She did so on the promise that she would receive the pay as soon as the budget was passed. Then instead of paying her, they came in and told her that she would receive it a little bit at a time over several months until they caught up. She's almost afraid to check on her retirement account.
In California when the legislative branch doesn't approve a budget by the lawfully mandated date ... the state will issue warrants/IOU's to the employees. Most banks in the state will honor the IOU's.

Mary Lou, Maggie and Gary are back from their morning constitutional. Gary has 4.56 miles on his watch ... he thinks the group walk covered about 3 miles of that total. Miss Maggie saw her first horse today and made many new friends. Miss Maggie is taking a Big Nap.

6BD5B8C7-72F6-4AB9-A9FB-F04764B77A50.jpeg

From today.
0EA0C8FF-0500-4F0B-891B-2D749EA6870E.jpeg

'The Falcon' movies all day. I'll watch just about any '40s detective movie, even though they're now into the ones with the brother instead of the original. But still, movies in B&W, big ol' cars, and hats.
I've got 'The Falcon' as well as 'Philip Marlow' and just about every other detective radio show ever produced. The movies are great too!

Dave will retire when he falls over dead.
Have never had a long term job with deductions and such. Been a contractor
for much of life. Of course the job he holds now has taxes taken out. But it will never be enough to live on. So fall over dead it will be.

Incidentally 5 and about a third of an hour at work. The buffer lost the lower seal in the motor and left drops and smears of oil all over the store. Spent much time wiping floors where the buffer had been.
Darn Shame the motor didn't throw the rod due to oil loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

'The Falcon' movies all day. I'll watch just about any '40s detective movie, even though they're now into the ones with the brother instead of the original. But still, movies in B&W, big ol' cars, and hats.
I've got 'The Falcon' as well as 'Philip Marlow' and just about every other detective radio show ever produced. The movies are great too!
The Fat Man ...

I don't know about Wade, but I'm going to have to fix that first clause to say "IF you ever get a chance to retire..." ;)
I tried retirement. I failed at it.

Gary has the Sous Vide working. It operates via Bluetooth or WIFI, off a phone, tablet, et all. Pretty simple and Gary can turn it on/off when he isn’t hom via the Internet. It is actually quite nice operationally. The are a couple of steaks on the counter ready to go.

Last edited:
Gary has the Sous Vide working. It operates via Bluetooth or WIFI off a phone, tablet, et all. Pretty simple and Gary can turn it on/off when he isn’t hom via the Internet. It is actually quite nice operationally. The are a couple of steaks on the counter ready to go.

Which one did you get? They’ve been on my radar.

In other news, I made Kung Pow chicken that was roughly 30% more spicy than necessary. We all sweat while we were eating dinner.

In other, other news, my nanny’s kid bit my daughter today. Still processing that one.

We are about to have Spaghetti.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back