The Hasselbird Project (a bold restoration attempt)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Dave Colangelo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First and foremost, WOW! Some great work here; can't wait to see how it progresses.

On the topic of that element, why not take it into an optical store and see what they can suggest? They deal with all sorts of coated lenses and may have supplies or techniques that we're not aware of.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you talking about an eye glasses shop or a camera shop? There are not any optics specific stores here in Philly as far as I know but it would be interesting to see what they have to say as well. Id say there is a 60% chance the element is pretty severely scratched (I don't have much of a frame of reference). I did some looking around on polishing glass and it seems there are some simple methods with Cerium Oxide. My concern is polishing it and keeping the correct curvature. With that in mind very little material needs to be removed to get the lens to a good and a careful polish may yield useable results.

Regards
    Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, eye-glasses shop. I realize they're going to know zip about camera lenses specifically, but there has to be some commonality between lenses at the most basic level.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ill give it a shot and see what they say. I know (much like camera lenses) Eye glasses are becoming way more modular and the shops rarely cut lenses any more. My next mission (if I cant salvage the element) is going to be sourcing a replacement. There are only a few hasselblad guy out there so its going to be a challenge. Pair that with the fact that this lens was apparently never held in high regard and many saw little use its hard to find another bad example out there.

Regards
    Dave

5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Call Hasselblad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [/QUOTE]
    Call Hasselblad![/QUOTE]

They are my last resort right now but I had considered that. I have a sneaking suspicion that their prices will about total the cost of just picking up a nice example of the lens. Im going to talk with David Odess about it when I go over stuff for the body (he has not yet gotten to work on it) and see if he has what I need. There is of course the off chance that another one pops up on the bay with a destroyed front element so I can salvage the back half.

Regards
    Dave

7. Watchful

Watchful No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't polish anything, polishing involves using grit tincause scratches and then reducing the size and depthbof the scratches and will change the surface.
    You can try car wax, not polish but wax only. If that doesn't work, go to the CLR. I have used it with success in the past. It may or may not remove the coatings depending on what was used, and how it was applied.

8. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Lenses are shaped and ground to perfection by polishing when manufactured,. not with some Calcium Lime and Rust remover. There are some things in this process that you may not be able to do by yourself. I would suggest trying tirediron's suggestions and contact a glasses store to get contact information on a lens manufacturer that can assist or Hasselblad themselves. They may be able to direct you to whomever they use to manufacture the glass for their lenses. You have done outstanding work so far and it would be a shame to ruin the glass itself. Am excited to see how it all comes out when you have it finished.

9. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The CLR suggestion was not about polishing but that the scratches which are a byproduct of the fungus may only have etched into the coating layer. The CLR would remove the coating layer and take the scratches with it leaving the raw element unscathed.

The Hasselblad lenses of this era (and I think all the V series) were made by Zeiss (who I may try and contact about this). Unfortunately this particular lens was not really produced in any kind of substantial numbers and most are still in pretty decent shape due to little use so donor lenses are rare in their own right.

On any note I went to the hardware store at lunch to pick up some CLR and see if I could get the coating off. IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4112.JPG

Unfortunately it appears there is no coating on this element (anymore at least) and the scratches are indeed in the glass. At this point any kind of polishing or grinding is going to change the characteristics of the lens anyway since it will require removal of glass and thus change the element thickness. I am tackling this a few different ways.

1. Hunt for a replacement element from Zeiss or Hasselblad
    2. Talk to an optics shop and see if it can be saved.
    3. Try and find the specifications for that element and see if an optics maker can cut one
    4. The the specs (if I can get them) build a grinding jig and see if the element can be salvaged.

While lens grinding is not really an at home task the point of this project was to attempt DIY solutions to things like this so I am also going to try and read up on what I may be able to do. The chances the grinding is successful, slim.

Regards
    Dave

10. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Update:

I just spoke with David Odess about the lens element. He had inquired with Hasselblad a while back about these lenses for another customer and apperently they are no longer making pieces or supplying parts for the early C era lenses. That being said I may still give them a call on the off chance they have one lying around. He all suggested that I contact Zeiss as they produced all the lenses in this era and may be able to help me with the specs on the element so that I can source another one.

Regards
    Dave

11. spiralout462

spiralout462 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have successfully polished auto glass with cerium oxide. Lenses are ground to much tighter tolerances, I understand, but it would still be fun to try since there's nothing to lose.

12. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit

This is basically the way Im looking at it at this point. I actually had planed to pick up some Cerium Oxide on my way home if I can find it. My hope is that the scratches are shallow enough that I can polish with some form of accuracy while still maintaining the curvature to some degree of correctness. I have been looking around at some polishing laps and other polish jigs that may be able to assist once I can find the actual curvature measurements.