Some pics I took a year ago:

Reflection

hike7s.jpg

Emptyness

hike10s.jpg

Bridge

hike17s.jpg

How do i improve?

I like them, with the first of the three being the best, IMHO. I wish I were qualified to give you advice on improving them but I am not so I'll leave it at that.

They're all a little overexposed IMO, but the first one's the best - your camera might have bracketing, which would help you figure out which settings provide the best exposures.

On the first two, I'd try setting ISO to maybe 200 (not sure what you're using) and try using f/8 or f/11 in aperture priority mode and metering off the rocks. That would be where I'd start anyway. Then maybe increase shutter speed from there.

The first one's the best for exposure; I would have put the "v" of the rocks just a bit more to the right, but the composure's still pretty good. I love shots like this, with sky, water, and interesting stuff between them.

On the last one, I would have set the exposure by metering off the rocks instead of the sky. That would have brought out the detail in the rocks more, though the sky would have probably been overexposed a bit.

My 2c as a newbie.

Well the location is great, but for landscape shots, the best time is the golden hours before dawn and then at dusk. This will allow greater warm colours and usually mean dramatic skies also. Probably best to go there in the evening, camp out for the night. I would come back with about 200-500 shots over night from a location like that!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back