The Lone Fisherman

AngryBrit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angry-brit.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure exactly if this turned out quite the way I wanted. What you think.

$8046315543_6f8b8b7afb_b.jpg

The composition could be better. If he is a lone fisherman I would try to isolate him more from a distance, rather than so close to the subject.

This one isn't working for me. Kind'a muddy and not very sharp

Zoom out/Go back
Shoot from a higher angle - more sea = isolation
Could also work: Shoot from lower angle - more sky = expanses of nothingness and loneliness
Straighten
Longer exposure for smoother, calmer water (gives a sense of relaxed, peaceful etc.)
Could also work: Quicker Exposure if it is choppy and that is the desired mood
Process so that it doesn't lack contrast
And rule of thirds putting him in the bottom right intersection

That's what I would do, but it is what you want to covey that is important

Thanks for the comments.

Like I said I'm not really happy with it, I was hoping to get a different effect when I took the Pic but when I got home and looked at it, I saw right away I framed it wrong, and he wasn't 100% in focus But that was taken in Florida on Vacation and not gonna be back there again for some time :thumbdown:.

I took another at the same time in Portrait, I like it a little better, did Post on it and a bit happier, see what you think. I also included both colour originals, if you have any idea's on how I can get them to work shoot away.

$8061731160_f72e6db628_b.jpg

Originals too large to post here. they are at http://photo.angry-brit.com/fishport.jpg and http://photo.angry-brit.com/fishland.jpg

Second one is much better.

He's not so crammed in (the other is a bit too tight), I think the portrait works better overall as well. Also the horizon is straight, which is an easy fix in the first one but still an improvement . Also you have some beams of light or somethingin the sky, which adds a lot.

The second is framable, IMO.

Good eye for a moment, btw... just need more practice so you can REALLY nail it everytime.

Sorry, I guess I'm the odd man out. Like the first attempt, this one just looks gray to me and lacks definition. Sorry.

you would get more useful assistance if you'd allow editing.

If I wanted you to do it for me then I may as well hand you my camera and let you have it. The reason I don't want others editing my pics is because I want to learn how to do it myself :D Constructive criticism of MY work is what allows me to learn how to better take and edit a photo myself that is aesthetically pleasing to as many people as as possible (you can never please everyone).

does nothing for me fisherman is too near the corner, too much water and he is not doing anything exciting looks like he could be fly fishing if you had him casting with a nice swirl to the fishing line it would be much better

If I wanted you to do it for me then I may as well hand you my camera and let you have it. The reason I don't want others editing my pics is because I want to learn how to do it myself :D Constructive criticism of MY work is what allows me to learn how to better take and edit a photo myself that is aesthetically pleasing to as many people as as possible (you can never please everyone).

yes, we've heard this before.
what you can't or don't perceive in this situation is that it is damn near impossible to tell you the nuances of color, contrast or position and make it understandable.
this obviously is a visual medium.
what you are asking is the equivalent of asking a violin teacher to instruct you with you refusing to hear the piece played.

don't underestimate the difficulty of post-processing; you will have a hard enough time getting your results to look like the example as it is.
if you don't allow editing, you will be working without an example and never know how good your stuff could actually look.

I don't think anyone wants to "do it for you". If they wanted to do someone else's PP, they would work at a processing lab. Traveler was merely suggesting for you to allow visual examples so you can sit at your PC and say "ahhhh...I see what you mean" or "Thanks but I like mine better." You could also use the experience to mimic and learn.
Personally, after reading your rude response, I could care less what you post.

This shouldn't be seen as a test of wills.
We have done this kind of 'helping' before - most of us have done it for years and it is much more work for us and much less useful to the photographer if images can't be edited.
Many very good people will just not take the time to comment - even if they wouldn't edit - because they would see your position as asking for help but being uncooperative.

Your choice.
My suggestion is that you just say you understand and change the edit flag.

Lew

Most reactions

Back