The Lone Fisherman

Not trying to pile on as show you that there are more people who agree with Traveler's point... allowing folks to edit your pic and post the results allows them to show you what they mean vs tell you, which is a HUGE difference. The violin analogy is spot-on.

Personally, after reading your rude response, I could care less what you post.

Rick, unlike your wonderfully obnoxious reply, I was not being "rude".

I was pointing out I want to learn by doing. not have others do it for me. Different people learn in different way's. Having someone do it and then trying to copy the result is one way, I personally tend to find it more beneficial for my learning process if I do it and make mistakes and then someone points out my mistake and explains in real language what I did wrong and then maybe offers a way of doing it better/different the next time. Trust me Rick if I wanted to be "rude" I am very capable of it and would leave no doubt in anyone's mind that I was being such. (did you check out my website? Maybe I'll add a section just for people like you :lol:)

Traveler, I understand fully what you are saying, and you made me curious, The flag will be changing momentarily. :thumbup: If I can work out how to do it :wink:

Good decision. The_Traveler has helped me here as well and I found it very beneficial. Sometimes you might think you know what they are saying and then think "hmm I don't think that would work", so you don't even try it. but to be able to see the rendering and what it can do, will help greatly. Anyone who does an edit would be glad to run you through the process so you can do it yourself with your full sized photo. In relation to your image my humble opinion would be to shoot wider for more isolation of the lone fisherman.
Thats just my 2cents.

"(did you check out my website? Maybe I'll add a section just for people like you :lol:)"

Yep, very classy

I just read through again and can't see where you were rude

I wasn't. But hey. Everyone has differing opinions on what is "rude" and what is not. And Rick is very Much entitled to his. Maybe it was cause I spelled Colour the correct way that got him all riled up :wink:

I wasn't. But hey. Everyone has differing opinions on what is "rude" and what is not. And Rick is very Much entitled to his. Maybe it was cause I spelled Colour the correct way that got him all riled up :wink:

Yes but you are in the US now COLOR

:lol: Yes I may live in the US but it's very hard to not speak the Queens, It's hardest hiding my Deep Yorkshire Accent so that Americans can understand me.

:lol: Yes I may live in the US but it's very hard to not speak the Queens, It's hardest hiding my Deep Yorkshire Accent so that Americans can understand me.

Your not a DE DAR are you, Tha knows:lol:

As I see it there are two problems with the first, the compositon and the terribly flat tonal range - so dreary and and heavy in mid-tones. (see histogram)
The figure in the corner might be well -placed if it was referring in some way to the rest of the image but the guy is looking at his hand and the rest of the picture, which has little of interest, is ignored. And then there is that dark thing in the upper left that pulls the eye but has no role in the picture.

fish1.jpg

The tonal range can be fixed to some degree but the composition is still incoherent.

fish2lll.jpg

IMO, the second has much more possibilities.
The fisherman's stance and position refers to the rest of the scene.
There isn't that annoying dark thing up in the corner.

There is the dull image tones
The rain cloud has a funny reverse that draws attention and the upper left hand corner is too bright.

Perhaps something like this, where the sea is made more contrasty with curves,
The sky is cloned in and bit, some grain added and contrast added
and the corners vignetted.

The fisherman may be a bit big for the scene but it looks a bit different.

8061731160_f72e6db628_blll.jpg

WOW i kinda like it. Not sure what you did with the sky, Don't like that much but the rest looks good. OK I tried something a little different, after seeing yours. See what you think now

Fisherman.jpg

I brightened up the water, darkened the sky, added a slight Vignette and drastically upped the contrast on the water to make it stand out whilst lowering it on the sky area. Comments???? Suggestion for improvement???

I like the feeling of this. The only thing that bothers me is there appears to be a dark halo effect around the fisherman. Could that be dodged out.

you would get more useful assistance if you'd allow editing.

If I wanted you to do it for me then I may as well hand you my camera and let you have it. The reason I don't want others editing my pics is because I want to learn how to do it myself :D Constructive criticism of MY work is what allows me to learn how to better take and edit a photo myself that is aesthetically pleasing to as many people as as possible (you can never please everyone).

At the begining, i used to think the same way; but I learned that the best way to learn is to let people edit my shots, and then replicating the result by myself. That way I learn how to do it, but I have a clear vision of the final result I want to achieve (if I like the edit done better than mine). like previously stated, this is a visual medium, and the only way for you to see what wrong, is to see your shot done right... Just my 2 cents!

EDIT: Eplied before I saw that you changed it; good for you!

As for the reposted second shot, I find it a bit dard overall...

Last edited:
At the begining, i used to think the same way; but I learned that the best way to learn is to let people edit my shots, and then replicating the result by myself. That way I learn how to do it, but I have a clear vision of the final result I want to achieve (if I like the edit done better than mine). like previously stated, this is a visual medium, and the only way for you to see what wrong, is to see your shot done right... Just my 2 cents!

This is the important thing.
When I shoot and start editing, I have a pretty clear vision of what I want.
I think it takes a bit of experience to be able to 'see' the final image.
You obviously have started because your composition is aimed at the final and you did convert it.
Now you just have to refine your abilities to see and that's what other people's edits will help you to develop

Most reactions

Back