The loud clicking

Missdaisy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting to shoot wildlife this weekend with my D300, my husband says the clicking when I take a picture is too loud and will scare the deer away. Does anyone have a solution? :blushing:

I am wanting to shoot wildlife this weekend with my D300, my husband says the clicking when I take a picture is too loud and will scare the deer away. Does anyone have a solution? :blushing:

get a mega zoom p&s!

kidding! try a long telephoto so you dont have to be that close.

I know, I want a new lens but I'm going to have to save up. Maybe Santa Clause will bring me a new one?

That noise is the shutter, you can't really do anything to change/prevent it.

If you can get close enough to a deer (on purpose), for the shutter to scare it away, you would have to be one heck of a tracker.

That noise is the shutter, you can't really do anything to change/prevent it.

If you can get close enough to a deer (on purpose), for the shutter to scare it away, you would have to be one heck of a tracker.

I told my husband that there isn't anything I could do about the noise, but he pleaded with me to ask around to see if anyone had a solution.

Getting close to the deer isn't a problem, my husband is a well seasoned hunter. We have 400 acres, with plenty of deer stands to hide in. My goal is to get a great shot of a white tail in velvet. :D

Most of the noise is from mirror slap. If you lock the mirror up it will help. But, with the mirror locked up the viewfinder is blocked so.........no looky-looky through the viewfinder.

You could try wrapping the camera up in something to muffle the sound. But that would make it harder to operate and probably wouldn't work all that well.

Looks like I'm just going to have to be a quick shooter. I need my view finder and I don't know how stable of a hold I could keep on my camera if I wrapped it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tell your husband to watch one of the presidents next speeches. If it was possible to make one "quiet" I am sure Mr. Obama would have made that a rule as it is pretty annoying listening to him speak with all the clicks in the room. You would think they would give everyone a few minutes to get some shots and then let the man speak.

If you get your shot perfect and your in good lighting conditions just get that shutter speed up and you'll get one good shot.

I'm no expert, but I've never found that shutter noise has been the factor in missing the shot. I daresay my own motion, etc. has been more of the issue.

Most often what will scare an animal is the reflection of light off the lens, or the photographers ring or watch etc., not the sound of the shutter.

Most often what will scare an animal is the reflection of light off the lens, or the photographers ring or watch etc., not the sound of the shutter.

Good tip, I'll make sure to take off all of my jewelry.

So I went hunting with my Nikon over the weekend and I got some pics of a few really nice bucks. But.......:blushing: I am ebarassed to post the pics, I just couldn't zoom in close enough. I definitely need a MUCH bigger lens. When I crop the pic so that you can see the bucks it is so grainy it looks like I took the pic with a disposable camera.

Most reactions

Back