The Luthier's Bench

Tyjax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jwtyler.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
33938%3C2723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D42%3B%3D52%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323478%3C744%3C2ot1lsi

HH, Nikon N5005, on Kodak T400cn, Printed on Ilford MG, The T400CN really wouldnt bring the contrast I wanted. three plus hours in the dark room netted this. Sigh.

Why thank you. Have'nt posted in a while. Been spending too much time in the darkroom and dont have a scanner yet. So lots of prints no digital. I did a great self port. in a mirrored elevator ceiling, but when I printed it evidently by the 4th printing my developer was exhusted so it look like a high key ManRay blooper. Sigh. This whole darkroom thing is taking up huge chunks of my time anymore. I love it. I am so hooked.

yes, this is an excellent picture; are those your instruments by the way?

No acctually they are instruments in my Father-in-laws Violin making/repairing shop where I am doing a part time apprenticeship. There are probably two thousand or more intrusments in his shop. Violin, Viola, Celli, Bass, Guitar, Mandolin, Dulcimer.

A man after my own heart. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably be an archtop guitar maker.

The coloring and placement for this shot is excellent. The lighting and shadows also compliment it very well. I am guessing the white reflectivity on the top of them is dust which adds a wonderful touch.

Great Job!

Excellent!

I've wanted to learn to make violins for a couple years now. I don't have the space or tools. My plan was to first varnish a white violin, second assemble and varnish a violin and then eventually start one from scratch. I wish I was fortunate enough to know a luthier that would teach me. You lucky bastard :p

The skills involved in making a world class instrument are just mind boggling. Not to mention the time involved. I used to pick up instruments with a fair amount of brash confidence. Now I cradle them like precious children I fear dropping. Watching a master labour over a repair in a 1800's french peice you would think they were children.

Wow, this is indeed a very nicely composed image! A big thumbs-up on this one. And I would have to agree you're lucky just to have access to this place where you can capture images like these.... I'd want to start setting up various compositions: a single instrument, 2-3 artfully arranged, etc., with dramatic lighting for all of it. And a portrait of your father in law at work..... so many possibilities here!!!!

Well, there's my wish list/assignment for ya. :wink: Git crackin! :p

Tyjax said:
The skills involved in making a world class instrument are just mind boggling. Not to mention the time involved. I used to pick up instruments with a fair amount of brash confidence. Now I cradle them like precious children I fear dropping. Watching a master labour over a repair in a 1800's french peice you would think they were children.
I've played on instruments from $200 cheapos to a million dollar guarnie del gesu so i'm no stranger to handling such an expensive block of wood. A couple times in highschool when I would perform a concerto my private teacher let me play on his Gagliano that was recently refurbished in NYC. Before he had it done it was only worth about $65k now worth well over $100k.

What I find mind boggling is that if you stripped the varnish from a Stradivarius it would be worth 1/10th its value.

Thanks all for the kudos. Much needed this day!

Voodoo- He won't let me touch the Del Gesu! ;-P Not that I would have the temerity. The idea gives me the creeping willies. Course it's not his. On consignment I think. Its like fort knox to get to the thing. He has sold two strad's. If I remember correctly. I come from a huge line of string players. I was too freaking lazy as a kid to finish lessons and now I regret it all the time. If I could go back in time I would beat my young self senseless.

All those expensive instruments! See and I'd be happy with a $35k Peresson... heck I'd take a modern instrument made by a good luthier for under 10k. There are some very fine makers in North America. Especially with that fine wood up north.

Well when I visit my friends in Columbus I might have to drive out to Cinci for a day if I could get a tour :)

Its acctually in Canton/Hartville area. Closer than Cinci. I think . We just purchased a house in Akron. ( Do I look frazzled? I am, I am trust me.) He moves lots of instruments. He does a lot of commission purchasing. i.e. someone says I want a Del Gesu. I think thats what the current Del Gesu may be because its due to leave soon and he hasnt had it but a few days.
Master Stearns instruments sell for around the average 5-10k depending. He has some fairly heavy endorsement from some artists. I personally think his violins tone is very remeniscent of the Cremona school of the later years. But then again with a more mellow tone. Ofcourse give them 100 years we will see. Its my goal to make an entire instrument. Right now I am confined to bridges, fingerboard nuts, Pegs and sanding. :) heh heh. Gotta start at the bottom in a traditional shop.

Try www.stearnsviolins.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back