The name will be Nikon D800, the sensor will be 36MP (99% probability)

So what is the difference between DX and FX format (D90 versus D700)?

Is it just a matter of a full frame image (in other words an 28mm lens produces a 28mm image) or is it just a better camera?

Both although having never owned or used either, i can't speak from experience. FX is fullframe, DX is crop.

So what is the difference between DX and FX format (D90 versus D700)?

Is it just a matter of a full frame image (in other words an 28mm lens produces a 28mm image) or is it just a better camera?
With the full frame comes improved image resolution, and less image noise for a comparable number of megapixels.

For instance, Nikon's 12 MP Fx - D3s has the best ISO performance of any othe Nikon ever made. The 24 MP FX - D3x has the best resolution of any Nikon ever made, but only so, so ISO perfpormance.

The D3s is designed for low light shooting at high FPS rates. In other words it's a pro sport shooters camera. The D3x is designed to be a studio camera that will be used with professional photographic lighting for portraiture, product and fashion photography.

I'm gonna wait until they're actually known to exist in the wild. And then I'll take a good hard look at the specs & reviews.

THEN I will decide whether to plunk down my hard-earned money. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll probably get me a D700 on the cheap.

heck, Sparky.. that goes without saying! :)

Don't laugh..... there's a lot of folks that don't have that common sense.

The rumor is that it will not be your typical Bayer type sensor, it will be a Foveon sensor (3x12MP sensors - one for each color channel). NR is also saying to expect more than one version of this body.

Should be interesting.
Like the $7000, so called 46 MP, Sigma SD1? - SD1 DSLR - Digital Cameras - SigmaPhoto.com

KmH - Yes, that's the rumor.. same technology. It's a pretty cool sensor design, you get quite a bit more color depth from it.

Is there a known connection between Fujifilm and Sony? I'm wondering if and why Nikon would move over to a sensor technology that i associate with Fuji than than Sony (makers of Nikon sensors, yes?). If Sony are perhaps feeling they have outgrown the present relationship (e.g A77) would this a good time for Nikon to form a (new?) business alliance with Fuji and take the FX cameras in a different direction?

Fuji used to buy Nikon bodies and tweak them, The Fuji S5 Pro was basically a Nikon D200. So, yes, they do have and or had a relationship but they have not been licensing Nikon technology lately, at least none that has been public.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back