the time has come...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by mentos_007, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ... for me to buy a new comp. Fortunately my parents agreed to cover most of the costs (yeah... sometimes it's nice to live with parents... :p ) so today I walked around all those pc shops including MediaMarkt, and found out that a comp with 3.4 GHz, Pentium, with all the things and ports I need costs more less the same what a laptop 1.5 GHz Centrino, which also has all the necessary ports for me. Now I'm confused. On the one hand, laptop is very handy and its... mobile. And as far as I start uni this year it might be very important for me to take it sometimes to school. But on the other hand... this faster pc... yeah.. the point is in this. It is faster and I sometimes render films on my pc and it wouldn't take so long on the faster pc...

So guys, what would you choose? I'm a rather normal pc user... Can you advice me what shall I do???

2. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

I hate laptops. I hate their screens, I hate the lack of a decent mouse unless you buy another. But, it's nice to sit with it on your lap in bed or in the sun.
    But, the "proper" computer won't go out of date as quickly and I assume it'll be easier to upgrade later on.

Personally, I'd probably go for the computer whilst looking over at the notebook as I handed over the cash. Possibly whispering "sorry" to it.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The batteries in laptops have this uncanny tendency to die after about 1 year or two, so you cannot recharge them any more after that --- at least that is what I heard...

4. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you're using it at school I'd go with the laptop for portability issues. I know a lot of my classmates bring it to school and take notes directly onto the laptop and it makes it a lot easier.

Right now I have a laptop for work, but it's plugged into a docking station so that I use it was a rather larger monitor. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

If you're not concerned with portability then I'd vote for the normal PC as it's easier to update later on. Good luck with your decision!

5. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

Alexandra...my .02 worth - i have both but use my laptop (toshiba, 3.4 ghz, 1028 ram, P4, 80 gigs HD, etc.) for photo editing. i have installed ps cs2 and nikon capture for raw editing. in short, it sucks for this type work. even with the additional 512 ram, it's slow at times and has made the trip to the garbage can several times only to be retrieved after remembering the cost. the desktop, obviously is not portable, but at 3.4 ghz, 512 ram, it runs circles around the laptop...which is what i need. if i had it to do all over again, i'd choose a desktop. i'm not saying you'll have this problem...just sharing my experience :)

bottom line - you'll need to weigh your needs for this computer.

6. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    oh gosh :/ now I'm totally confused... but I forgot to add that I'm not going to throw out my current pc (it is extremely slow - P3 550MHz but I tuned it up to 600 MHz, and only 256 Ram) and I work with it right now. I process pics with it... yeah it is slow but I got used to it. ehhh

7. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Your old one is almost as twisce as fast as this one though. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Once you go mac, you never go back.

9. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    hmm as far as OS goes I'd like to install linux there so I think that linux is ok for every some- GHz comp... ahhh can't decide.

10. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i am running mandrake linux 10.0 on my old laptop (1 GHZ, 768 ram), i works really well. Of all the op systems i've used, (Mac, Windows) i prefer it the most, mainly because you can 'get down & dirty' with configuring it. the install was a breeze. I run xp on my other laptop for work.

Macs do tend to have a slightly screen res out the box, but its a ***** getting some software (but then again i tend to use rather obscure software). You've probably heard all you care to hear about windows, I am windows neutral. People tend to get into religious wars about OS's, but i am OS agnostic :mrgreen:

Linux is just my preference, you will be a slightly higher learn curve to learn some system commands but will give more freedom in the long run over mac and windows.

As a side note, Gimp as an open source photo editing tool has come a long way, i can get the same results as I do in photoshop, its just that the process takes a bit longer.

11. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go for pc, not laptop, you get 10x better for your money,
    dont go for dell
    and last bit, my bro built my pc, so I got double the amount.

12. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreeeeed.

If not a mac at least look into the AMD atholon proccessors. Alot more reliable for graphic editing and you can overclock the hell out of them.
    Also if color or editing color images is big in your future find a laptop with DVI or analog out for running it on a seperate monitor. Like the old one from your P3 machine. ;)