Thinking about a grey market flash...

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
I don't think I could ever risk a grey market camera, but what about a flash unit? Are they simple enough and indestructible enough that I could save the bucks and get a grey-market flash unit?

Whacha think??

Any gray market camera equipment for the major manufactures is going to be fine; mostly the differents are in the packaging and manuals. Also sometimes gray may have different warranties so you need make sure the dealer will cover the warranty.

I agree with Jeff. The biggest diff between "regular market" and "gray market" equipment is the warranty (you may have to send it to Japan to get it fixed, something to consider).

The manufacturers would like you to believe that there is a quality difference between equipment sold here and there. It's just another sales game.

I buy gray market Kodak BW film all the time (it's 1/2 price). In the description from the dealer it says that it is manufactured "overseas". When the film arrives it clearly says "made in the USA" on every roll.

Sure, I understand it's going to be the same product, which is why I would be willing to risk it for a flash unit, but there's still a difference between a roll of grey-market film and a $500 flash system. ;-) :D

It's a gamble. If the flash craps out under warranty a few phone calls and shipping to Japan might eat up the savings pretty quick.

ksmattfish said:
It's a gamble. If the flash craps out under warranty a few phone calls and shipping to Japan might eat up the savings pretty quick.

John

That is why it important that the deader backup the warranty. I do not know about Adorama, but B&H does if you buy a gray market item for them they cover the warranty. Ship to New York would be less that to out of the courtly

Jeff Canes said:
ksmattfish said:

John

That is why it important that the deader backup the warranty. I do not know about Adorama, but B&H does if you buy a gray market item for them they cover the warranty. Ship to New York would be less that to out of the courtly

b&h does cover it? That's cool, that's who I was looking at purchasing from anyhoo.

John

FYI On the B&H site when it says “import” or “USA next to an item that is a link to their warranty/import page

this is it
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=Apg856xk1z!-792423220?O=productlist.jsp&A=getpage&Q=GreyMarketStatic.jsp

Most reactions

New Topics

Back