Thinking about buying a Pentax 645

jtp145

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently I went back to shooting film after about 8 years in Digital. My Crop Sensor Nikon D5100 makes gorgeous images, only Im wanting to go full frame... So I went back to my trusty old Nikon FA from the 80's and had a blast shooting Velvia....Ektar.... -Im really enjoying film. I dont mind spending $20-30 round trip per roll for film and development wth high res Scans..

A Nikon Df or D610... are out of reach price wise.

So lately Im looking at these very old Pentax 645 Medium format cameras on Ebay in really nice condition for around $300 including film loader & lens.

I dont mind shooting in manual. As long as the light meter is reliable Im good to go.

What do you guys think of the original Pentax 645? (not the N model or Nii model.... the base 645 )

Just wondering what Im getting into before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks!

I really like the 6 x 4.5 format. It is large enough to scan or print nicely and is efficient use of the film. I have a Mamiya now, but do like the looks and ergonomics of the Pentax. I am considering a Pentax 67. If it says Pentax on it, it must be good.

Phil

I have the N, and it is a very good camera though haven't used it for a while. I have no experience with the 645 non N. The format is great though and the viewfinder a joy to use.

I really like the 6 x 4.5 format. It is large enough to scan or print nicely and is efficient use of the film. I have a Mamiya now, but do like the looks and ergonomics of the Pentax. I am considering a Pentax 67. If it says Pentax on it, it must be good.

Phil

^^This. I don't have a Pentax 645, but I do have Pentax 35mm cameras and love them. If heard only good things about the Pentax medium-format and know several people on other forums who shoot with them. And I also shoot 645 format with a Mamiya and enjoy it. It still feels sort of like 35mm because of the similar proportions but you get a lot more depth to the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back