Thinking bout buying a Tablet Laptop for editing my photos, opinions wanted...

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Im considering buying a Toshiba Portege M200 which is a Tablet Laptop so i can use it as a normal laptop aswell as tablet pc so i can edit my photos with accuracy on the move. I would love to hear peoples opinions before i purchase one tomorrow (UK time) and if someone has got one that is even better, please share all experiences. :wink:

I'm not up on the capabilities of the Tablet PC's, but you may want to look at the system requirements of the editing software you plan to use and check the specs of the hardware.

cbay said:
Im considering buying a Toshiba Portege M200 which is a Tablet Laptop so i can use it as a normal laptop aswell as tablet pc so i can edit my photos with accuracy on the move. I would love to hear peoples opinions before i purchase one tomorrow (UK time) and if someone has got one that is even better, please share all experiences. :wink:

Craig! Fancy seeing you here :thumbup:

I have used a few before and they have thier advantages and disadvantages. Being an industrial design student, I sketch a lot. I used PS to do some quick sketches and found that some of them are really not that accurate (especially the gateway). The toshiba's were pretty good though. The pen followed nicely and i could see it being very useful. However, i simply did not use it enough to really get the feeling of how it works. Some of the other students that own them said they like them, however they dont use it as much as the all thoguht they would. However, my experience was that the toshiba was the top pick for me. ut that is from an industrial design point of view. I would take some time and try it for yourself though.

I used a HP tablet for a while when i was in school and really didn't care much for it. The stylus pen worked okay for goofing around and showing people. But as far as being usefull, I found using a mouse way less stressfull. There were many students having problems with the spinning hinge that would allow you to go from standard laptop mode to tablet mode. The last week I had mine, either the wires going through the hinge or the graphics card failed on mine. I was only seeing green on my screen, reminding me of my apple IIe when i was a young kid.

I give the HP tablets a big :thumbdown:

uberben said:
The last week I had mine, either the wires going through the hinge or the graphics card failed on mine. I was only seeing green on my screen, reminding me of my apple IIe when i was a young kid.

I give the HP tablets a big :thumbdown:
The display going green is the display itself going bad. The graphics card is still ok. Happened to my dell laptop. If I give it a "technical tap" (smack it real hard) sometimes it will go back to normal, but it is only temporary.:er:
Just thoght I'd throw that in. Not that it has anything to do with this thread.:lmao:

I'm a little wary of tablet PCs because a. they're quite new technology, and b. they're PCs. It's hard to beat a good mac, in my opinion. I've used a graphics tablet, which I'm pretty sure is what
kelox is talking about. They're a good investment.

i nearly got one about 6 months ago but got a dell inspiron instead as i managed to haggle the call centre worker in delhi for a good price.

i don't know what they're like now, but the biggest draw back i was told about tablets is that they didn't have DVD/CD writers or sometimes just didn't have the drives alone.

As a guess i would say that your hand would be more steady with a mouse than a pen. think about this way - your hand can rest on a table and mouse whereas you are freehand with a tablet pen.

for general use however I think a tablet pc is good because you don't need the extra space for a mouse if like me you hate mouse touch pads

I thought It would be appropriate if I chimed in on this one Since I'm on my tablet right now

The big Con to tablets are the Stylus to screen Contact lay down a protector over the Screen Tablets are pretty much a lap top without a keyboard Great for taking notes in Class
photo editing I'm kinda weary about (since mine is a cel 866) I havent installed fotochop on it put using yucky MSpaint & Corel its Not easy

Pro's
again great if you attend a university & dont feel like carrying a 3 ring binder every where

mine is a pain in the ass cause it doesn't have a keyboard in have to write everything out or hook up my usb keyboard

I can see the advantage to the tab-PC in a school setting, but I am not sold on them for high power photo edit apps. I will lend my vote for the Wacom and a good desk machine with a lot of RAM, fast processor, high HD cap. and a big calibrated LCD monitor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back