Tilt-shift Lens

well, if wind is an issue, use a sturdy tripod and hang your camera bag on the center column.

IMO, unless you need to use small format, you might as well be shooting large format if you need tilts or shifts. view cameras can tilt AND shift at the same time, small format T/S lenses can't.

Canon's Tilt and Shift lenses can Tilt AND shift at the same time

Looking at the prices on those lenses, they're so cheap!
I'd love to have the control of tilt and shift for portrait shooting.

well, if wind is an issue, use a sturdy tripod and hang your camera bag on the center column.

IMO, unless you need to use small format, you might as well be shooting large format if you need tilts or shifts. view cameras can tilt AND shift at the same time, small format T/S lenses can't.

Please bear with me, I love telling this story;

Having developed myself into a somewhat streamlined, overweight, old man, the usual scenario consists of me loading up with the camera with the lense attached, a filter, a filter case, my cable release, my carbon fibre tripod, a canteen full of water and a clip-on watch with a sweep second hand, my old man glasses and a lense tissue in my wallet. I hike up some stupid gravelly, scree covered steep-pass hill to another just like it and sometimes one other one just to make me feel "alive." Of course I stop for a smoke every chance I get. I wait one to two hours and setup my shot series and go sit on a rock and have a smoke or two. During all this the air is as dead still as inside someone's mouth and I'm lathered in sweat like a little burro that's been carrying a fat-round priest to a mission. When the sun starts to set the wind can gust maybe 60 mph. Sometimes it just blows hard without a break. My life is too complicated to attach the camera bag/backpack (I'd have to go back to the truck and get it) securely to the tripod.

I should'a just said I've tried it and it don't work for me.

Besides, I think this type of solution would help me produce what I've been working on and I call, Totally Integrated Technically Solved, or TITS, photos. If there ever is a day where wind is not a factor I'll be prepared.

The coolest thing is that if I get the Nikon lense I have justification to dump the d80 and get a d2x-or whatever it is...

A wicked plan is developing.

Looking at the prices on those lenses, they're so cheap!
I'd love to have the control of tilt and shift for portrait shooting.

They're cheap enough for me to try out... Next month though.

Canon's Tilt and Shift lenses can Tilt AND shift at the same time

That's right! I was thinking of tilting, shifting, and rotating the planes at the same time, which you need a view camera to do.

I have owned both the 28 and 35mm PC Nikkors not the current ones. Both are excellent optics. Both are preset lenses. Their main purpose is to correct keystoning in architecutural and product photography. I suppose you could use it to affect depth of field like you would with a view camera but it will have few applications there for landscape photography.

Fine lenses but not an answer to dealing with wind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back