Too many choices!!!

Went to a camera shop yesterday and got to play with the Canon 20D. Yes, it si a very nice camera. However, I was told that Canon will be coming out with a new camera that will supercede the D20, and that camera will be displayed at PMA. So, since that is only three weeks away, I just might wait to see what that new beasty is like.

As an FYI, I did get to play (a bit) with the Nikon D200; also quite a nice camera. AS a comparison, the D200 it did not appear to have as much of a hair trigger as the 20D. I had a bit of a problem (with the D20) when trying to press the release button just enough to focus and not snap off a frame.

Anyway, I am going to be a little patient and see what comes out of Orlando (PMA).

That's a good idea, but here's something else to think about...

If there is a replacement to the 20D, it will be in very high demand. It may be months before you could actually get your hands on one. At the same time, prices on the 20D should drop (I've heard that it is already dropping).

I personally would want to have the new model, who wouldn't? But the 20D is still a great camera.

The 20D lets you move the focus from the shutter button to a thumb button (the *) near the shutter button. I really like using it this way, as it lets me focus on the subject and then recompose without having to worry about the camera then focusing on the background if I take my finger off the shutter and press it again. (I get spasms in my fingers sometimes.) It's also great if you like to manual focus the ring-USM lens while in auto mode.

The marketing materials will make it seem like some kind of feature on the follow-up to the D20 makes it unbelievably better and indispensable. However, you will probabl find that 93% of what you want to do can be done with a D20. I say look for a good deal on the older model.

The industry relies on Pixel Envy. I have a Canon 5D, but I still use my D60 (a five year old model) for almost everything as a back up with no issues.

More importantly: learn, understand and use RAW.

i say get a nikon d200 a prime 50mm anda 70-200 2.8 sigma $700ish or nikon (with has vr) $1400ish and posibly a sb 600 or 800

Going to get the 18-200. The primary reason for me getting the system is to cover the triathlons my wife competes in. There are too many occasions when I'd have to be quick about changing focal lengths (maybe not during the swim, but certainly during th bike and run), and the 18-200 would cover most situations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back