Too much camera?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there. By way of introduction I am an amateur photographer in that I own a D3100 (18-55mm kit lense, 18-140mm lens, 50mm prime) and enjoy playing around with it as a hobbyist. I understand the basics of manual shooting but am in no way proficient and often shoot in AP mode for speed. I currently do not do any sort of post-production but am planning to learn at least the basics. It always felt like “cheating” to use photoshop, a bit like seeing average photos with filters on Instagram… but I now understand that it is not even close to the same thing in the real photography world. I also understand that longer term some general photography courses, further reading, photoshop/lightroom learning etc will be of most benefit and I plan to do all of these things.

I have recently had my first baby and find myself using the camera daily, mostly with the prime lense given he isn’t moving around and I generally have plenty of time to compose shots. However, I now own a D7100 body and D750 body, both used. I think I paid a decent enough price for each (D7100 was just over $400 with 4k actuations and the D750 was ~$1,100 with 1k actuations) so the plan was to keep one and sell the other for close to what I paid after testing them at home. I figured this was cheaper than renting both and would allow me more time to test. I plan to spend this weekend with both and hopefully make a decision but would appreciate any help as I am concerned my amateur eye and skills will mean I make the wrong choice. Perhaps I pick the D7100 and in a few months after developing my skills I wish I had kept the D750 and kick myself for less than optimal family shots at this precious time? Perhaps I submit to upgrade syndrome and take the D750 after convincing myself it will make me a better photographer, which I know it will not in isolation?!

I would probably look to add another prime for either (likely a wider angle) and a zoom for the D750 but if I kept the D7100 I would probably only add another prime as I have the 18-140mm already. That means there is a decent total cost difference between the options. That said I don’t want to make this decision solely on costs as I can technically afford the ~$1700 difference in body and new lense if I decided D750. While it is a non-trivial amount of money for almost anyone, myself included as there is always something else I could do with it, I am comfortable spending that and already have it earmarked for such use. The D7100 should be seen then as a “saving” rather than an “additional expense”.

My question to the experts here is whether the D750 is too much camera for me? I have taken a few quick snaps last night and both felt good in my hands. Both seem to have very similar layouts which is important as my wife will also use the camera and while picking up a little from me as I learn, she may shoot in auto mode for now when I am not around. Both take what I consider to be quality shots and I know that on paper both are far superior to my D3100. I am not printing for now but may do some for the wall or family albums over time and don’t think either would limit me in that respect.

Would the experts here suggest I stick with the D7100 as an intermediate step to develop my craft or take the D750 route now if I can afford to do so? I come from a car and motorbike background where I have seen people get out of their depth with equipment that vastly outweighs their skills and while they obviously enjoy themselves there is always the view from the wise heads that smaller engines initially create better long term drivers/riders. Should I be looking at my photography hobby in the same vein? To keep with the car analogy… while an S class Mercedes would do the job of wafting the family around a Rolls Royce would certainly do it much better. I don’t want to look back and wish I had gone for quality over saving a bit of cash when I look back on family photos but at the same time if it would be a flagrant waste of cash to take the D750 over the D7100 in my position I would certainly consider the later.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to preempt a lot of the questions and comments that I see on most beginnner threads by giving you all as much background as possible. I look forward to your views…

I'm not an expert, but I have an opinion. I say the D7100 is the better camera, especially considering that the D750 has had many problems. I say sell the D750, and keep the D7100. If you decide someday that you want an FX camera, then get a better model than the D750.

My D750 has had no problems.
You didn't state if either of your camera had a problem? I assume both work properly?

Considering you are doing a lot of inside photography right now with the baby I think the couple extra stops of low light ability, and the no focal length crop mode 1.5x affecting inside shooting, I would think the D750 is the better option. Considering that you already own it too.

I have a crop camera too. For inside I always chose the D750 for people. For macro the D7200. But hey, that's me.

D7100 has issues too when it was first out. Just google it.
I've always bought FX lenses. You can save a bunch of $$$ buy looking at AF/AF-D lenses too.

I would dump a D7100 over a D750 in a heartbeat.

do you still own the D3100? post seems to suggest your own all three.

There's a HUGE difference in post-processing and photo manipulation. But FWIW cheaters win...

The D750 is no Rolls. If the D7100 is a C300 coupe, the D750 is a E400 4matic.

I would keep the D750

BUT, hold the D3100, 7100 and 750 in your hand.
There is a SIGNIFICANT weight difference between the 3 cameras.

I found my D7200 + 18-140 sometime too heavy and bulky for the casual grab shots or family parties. Similarly, you may want to keep the D3100 + 18-55 for around the house casual and quick shots, and use the D750 for more serious work.
I have been seriously thinking about getting a D3400 + 18-55 as a "tweener" for the grab shots and family parties, where I don't feel like hauling the D7200 + 18-140.

But keeping and using both DX and FX formats can be confusing and lead to duplicate lens purchases.
But seeing that you already have the D750, I would keep it, and use it.

I'm not an expert, but I have an opinion. I say the D7100 is the better camera, especially considering that the D750 has had many problems. I say sell the D750, and keep the D7100. If you decide someday that you want an FX camera, then get a better model than the D750.

Thanks Designer. What makes you say the D7100 is “better”? I believe it has faster max shutter speed and lighter/cheaper lenses with the crop factor making it useful for certain types of shot but I am curious to know your thoughts. I have checked the serial number and it is not subject to any recall so I am not too concerned about problems I read about any specific model

My D750 has had no problems.

You didn't state if either of your camera had a problem? I assume both work properly?

Considering you are doing a lot of inside photography right now with the baby I think the couple extra stops of low light ability, and the no focal length crop mode 1.5x affecting inside shooting, I would think the D750 is the better option. Considering that you already own it too.

I have a crop camera too. For inside I always chose the D750 for people. For macro the D7200. But hey, that's me.

D7100 has issues too when it was first out. Just google it.

I've always bought FX lenses. You can save a bunch of $$$ buy looking at AF/AF-D lenses too.

Thanks Astro. Both work properly, no issues found so far. As you say I own both and bought them as I thought if I bought smartly I could try them both a little longer term vs renting and hopefully for less cost. Obviously there is some risk to this approach but I am confident I bought two good examples. When I bought the 50mm I made sure it was FX as I was thinking it made sense longer term if I ever wanted to upgrade the body. Both bodys allow me to buy lenses without inbuilt focus mechanisms I believe which was a consideration which kept me away from the 5xxx range

I would dump a D7100 over a D750 in a heartbeat.

do you still own the D3100? post seems to suggest your own all three.

There's a HUGE difference in post-processing and photo manipulation. But FWIW cheaters win...

The D750 is no Rolls. If the D7100 is a C300 coupe, the D750 is a E400 4matic.

Thanks Braineack. I still have the D3100 for the moment but will be selling it I guess. Perhaps give it to a family member or something if they are not worth much in the used market? Point taken on the post-processing, I need to learn more in this regard for sure. Also loving the Mercedes references :) guess I was getting ahead of myself thinking I was buying the Mayback of cameras. haha

I would keep the D750

I found my D7200 + 18-140 sometime too heavy and bulky for the casual grab shots or family parties. Similarly, you may want to keep the D3100 + 18-55 for around the house casual and quick shots, and use the D750 for more serious work.
I have been seriously thinking about getting a D3400 + 18-55 as a "tweener" for the grab shots and family parties, where I don't feel like hauling the D7200 + 18-140.

But keeping and using both DX and FX formats can be confusing and lead to duplicate lens purchases.

thankyou, but my wife would probably have harsh words for you if she heard you encouraging me like this! :) I think I will keep either the D7100 or D750 (seems consensus so far is the D750) and sell the others. I was worried I was getting ahead of myself a little and that I should work my way through the range/learn the craft slowly and humbly etc but you guys seem to be of the opinion that is not the case

Look at the Nikon D5 -- there's your AMG GT.
Look at a 200MP Hasselbald - there's your Maybach.

I would keep the D750

thankyou, but my wife would probably have harsh words for you if she heard you encouraging me like this! :) I think I will keep either the D7100 or D750 (seems consensus so far is the D750) and sell the others. I was worried I was getting ahead of myself a little and that I should work my way through the range/learn the craft slowly and humbly etc but you guys seem to be of the opinion that is not the case

Since you HAVE the D750, vs. having to go and buy one, you are already there at the FX level, so go for it.

how so?
You don't have to duplicate lens purchases. Just don't buy 2 of the same lenses?
I really do not understand, other than buying a lower cost lens, of buying DX lenses when you have both systems unless there is something specific that you want.

It's a matter of understanding which camera is better in which situation especially if you have both.

For instance, MACRO work is probably best done on the DX format as you get a better field of view, ie closer image. That can be helpful as you do not have to be as close to the subject as with a FX.

Walking around inside a house you gain significant 2 stops of light (ie, 2 steps faster shutter speed as an example) for taking pics of family. That's usually a good thing for inside work. You also do not have to move further back and can be closer, using the same lens.

For shots of your newborn indoors the D750 is a great camera. If you don't mind the bit of extra size and weight over a DX camera with a DX lens then it is not "too much" of a camera.

However, the D7100 is plenty of camera for most hobby photographers doing shots of the family. I find it easy to just toss the cheaper camera on the seat of the car or the bottom of the stroller - and the camera you have with you is the one that is going to have pictures on it.

Seeing as you bought and did not just rent the two cameras, take some time to use both of them.

how so?
You don't have to duplicate lens purchases. Just don't buy 2 of the same lenses?
I really do not understand, other than buying a lower cost lens, of buying DX lenses when you have both systems unless there is something specific that you want.

It's a matter of understanding which camera is better in which situation especially if you have both.

For instance, MACRO work is probably best done on the DX format as you get a better field of view, ie closer image. That can be helpful as you do not have to be as close to the subject as with a FX.

Walking around inside a house you gain significant 2 stops of light (ie, 2 steps faster shutter speed as an example) for taking pics of family. That's usually a good thing for inside work. You also do not have to move further back and can be closer, using the same lens.

He will already have a duplicate range situation. His D3100 has the 18-55 and 18-140 lenses, but those are DX lenses, so he would need a different lens to cover the "normal lens" range on the FX D750. Maybe the 24-120.

If you do not keep track of what lenses are DX vs FX, you can get mixed up, and get a DX lens rather than a FX lens.
Example, there are several 70-300 lenses, of which I think ONE is a DX lens. Worse, I think that DX lens is a P lens, which won't work on the 3100 nor 7100. So he has to make sure to get a FX lens that will work with the older cameras.

Actually for around the house shooting, I would go with the 3100, because it is lighter and more likely to be used more often.
I speak from having a F2 and not taking it out cuz it was a hassle to pull out the "big" camera for grab shots.
And today of using my P&S rather than my D7200, cuz the P&S is lighter and easier to use for grab shots.

I prefer a full-frame d-slr, and have since I got my first one, a Canon 5D, aka 5D "classic". To me, full-frame makes the most sense, because 99 percent of all Nikkor lens models ever designed and made have been for the 24x36mm capture area. There are many,many,many fine Nikkor lenses designed for the 24x36mm size. There are far fewer DX lenses.

On FX (AKA Full-frame), the 24 is wide, the 28 less wide, the 35 semi-normal, the 50mm the normal, the 85mm the short tele, the 105 the portrait tele, the 135 the field tele, and the 70-200 the utility tele-zoom,. and the 24-85 the all-around, does-it-all zoom. On DX, almost all older lenses are a hack...not the best utility, oftentimes the 70-200 is wayyyyyyy too long on DX!

On a DX camera, all of the DX lenses, except for a handful, are second-tier optics.

So...sell the D7100,and keep the D750. Simple decision. Your pictures _might_ benefit by having a better camera, and a better choice of millions of lenses.

you're thinking too much
just keep the D750 and take photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back