Too red, or just pointing the wrong way?

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are so many of pictures of these guys about at the moment, so sorry to add to the load. Is this picture far too red? or does it just loose it because not enough of the beetle is visable because the shot is from the front.

ladybird_01.jpg

Thanks for looking

tim

Would you beleive now it is (a little) less red, as it was taken on a red flower the reflected light swamped it so i have turned the saturation down a little in PS and given it a black frame in hope of taking some of the edge of it.

tim

Well, Tim, now I am a little confused for I no longer know which version we are seeing: the (possibly) too red one or the slightly desaturated one?

For I must say that I do like what I see here.
I really like the very direct view of this ladybird's little face and don't mind we do not get to see that much of its wings, and I also like the sameness of colours throughout for a change!! So what you feel might be "not so good" is the very element that I personally find fascinating. Ladybirds on green leaves or on grass or on any other more contrasting background are more or less the norm. But one in red on a red flower... is the exception!

And - well versed with insect photography as you are! - you got DOF and focus sooo right. We can study its little moustache, so sharp it is!

I'm almost thinking too red. When I first looked at the shot I didn't notice the shell on the back of the bug- I thought is was a continuation of the flower. I think that the shell curve flows well with the way flower petals curve.

Maybe it's more depth of field that is confusing me. The shell fading into the flower may have thrown me.

Now I look at it and everything is fine. Curses. ... & nice shot.

Thanks corinna, yes that was the lower red, but i darkened it at the same time, so the red looks darker but not so saturated. I sort of liked it, but my girlfriend said (and i usually trust her judgment) that isnt one of your better ones, and I think i have a tendency to like reds, but having looked at some other ones recently i realised why they are "not so good" sometimes :) (specifically lillys) so had to agree with her (this time of my own accord ;))

Ahh thats it abraxas, if there had been anything to sepperate the shell from the background so as it is more understandable, even though there are some nice large readable elements they dont say what it is so it gets lost. I have to concentrate on backgrounds anyway atm, how to complement with similarities but not to loose the subject (wether by overpowering reds or too much camoflage in the grass), it will be a good assignment genereally for me atm i think, thanks.

tim

i like the red, i think that's the point. i can definitely see where the black frame has probably helped the shot a lot. very nice. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back