took me the whole day to get to the top

hmongstang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
95225.jpg

but did you get to the top of the peak in your picture??

pretty sweet. i bet it was even sweeter to be there

Oh wow, stunning image & location! Looks like it was worth the trek!

I'm going to be the lone dissenter I guess. It's not a bad shot, but I think it could be much better. Love the peak...Rainier I think isn't it?

My issues are:

- The comp. I would have rather seen more of the foreground and less sky. The sky in this case (while not bad) is not as interesting as the terrain and more foreground could have led the eye into the scene much better than it does currently.

- The contrast. It looks flat to me. Not sure if it's the time of day or what. It could also be a bit sharper. The color as well....while the channels look accurate....is not punchy.

- The charcoal colored splotches seemingly throughout the image. What are those? Filter problems? I understand there are some greyish colored tops on the snow from dirt being exposed, etc....but the ones in the lower center and the lower left look like something that got on a filter or lens. Not shadows from the clouds either, are they? The gray on the right seems a bit more natural looking.

- Lack of detail. For this much light there should be more in the trees especially.

Maybe my critique a bit harsh? Maybe just my monitor, I don't know. I guess I was struck by the extent of the accolades. I know this is not the specific critique section of this forum, but felt like these things should be mentioned. I would not want to post a shot like this and have everyone say how great it was when I don't think it is that good (in its current form).

Personally I like the composition. The blue sky is nice behind the white snow, it makes the mountain look that much bigger. I would like to see a shot with less sky and more forground for comparison but I think your composition is solid none the less.

ccd333 said:
I'm going to be the lone dissenter I guess. It's not a bad shot, but I think it could be much better. Love the peak...Rainier I think isn't it?

My issues are:

- The comp. I would have rather seen more of the foreground and less sky. The sky in this case (while not bad) is not as interesting as the terrain and more foreground could have led the eye into the scene much better than it does currently.

- The contrast. It looks flat to me. Not sure if it's the time of day or what. It could also be a bit sharper. The color as well....while the channels look accurate....is not punchy.

- The charcoal colored splotches seemingly throughout the image. What are those? Filter problems? I understand there are some greyish colored tops on the snow from dirt being exposed, etc....but the ones in the lower center and the lower left look like something that got on a filter or lens. Not shadows from the clouds either, are they? The gray on the right seems a bit more natural looking.

- Lack of detail. For this much light there should be more in the trees especially.

Maybe my critique a bit harsh? Maybe just my monitor, I don't know. I guess I was struck by the extent of the accolades. I know this is not the specific critique section of this forum, but felt like these things should be mentioned. I would not want to post a shot like this and have everyone say how great it was when I don't think it is that good (in its current form).
absolutely right. Looks to me like a great place, but the shot is just a snap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back