Tripod question, with a slight twist...

AG74683

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this question has been beaten to death, and I actually have searched it and read every topic basically on the forum about it..

Seems the overwhelming consensus is to go to a Camera Store and mess around with a few of them and decide whats best. Problem is the nearest camera store to me is minimum 1hr 30min drive.

I am sure others have run in to this same problem, and if so, what did you end up purchasing and why?

I really dont need anything super expensive, I'm thinking >$150. The tripod will be supporting a Nikon D3000, and it most likely wont ever have a huge heavy lens on it. I have used only pan tilt heads, never the ball ones. Not to say I would pick one or the other, just that Ive never used the ball type... I favor long exposure shots alot, so I definitely need my own tripod, but there are so many out there I kinda feel like if I got one without asking you guys Id just be taking a shot in the dark.

Thanks!

Well I use a sunpak tripod which has worked great so far for my d5000 and sony camcorder, it has it's pro's and con's the pro's are extremely durable and light weight this thing is amazing. The con's are pan and tilt due to the cameras weight is not as smooth if you unlock too much the tilt axis will go all the way down extremely fast so it's a slow turn process. But I am happy with it so far, I am looking into getting a Giotto's tripod because I have played with it at the store and it's great.

I have also looked at YouTube videos of tripods as well as manufacturers specs, and images along with how users rate them so I am sold on the Giotto, I guess the best advice would be to do some research and do what I do look at videos and reviews in deciding which tripod you would like. *tip generally online you would get a better pricing then in the store.

BHphoto is a good place to buy from they have deals all the time

You have a good budget to start off with.Just try any of the usual big brands and you won't go wrong,namely Manfrotto,Benro(Not sure if it's availible in your country) Velbon,Slik.

I'd just get whats on sale.
I got a Cullmann Magnesit 522. It's like an equivalent to the Manfrotto XPROB, but it takes a little longer to get in macro mode.
But it was worth the price. Only 100 bucks.
I think it'll serve me for a good time.
Oh and 100 bucks - that's a tilt and shift head.
For 120 - that's a ballhead. Or if you have some loose cash, you can go for a giotto ballhead.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I got this one for christmas.

For my D60 and 70-300vr, I can't ever see it not being sturdy enough. A little heavy, but that just makes it more stable.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the advice! I'll be buying from Amazon so I'll take a look on there.

My dad has a SILK, looks to be very expensive. Not that he uses it anymore, but hes one of those people that if it is his, you cant touch it, EVER. :lol:

Most reactions

Back