Trouble Picking New Camera

HotWire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I am having a very hard time conmiting to just one of these cameras. I wish I could just smash them together and make the perfect one for me lol. Its really driving me bonkers and would love to hear any experience people have with any of these following cameras.

1. Sony a500:
2. Pentax k-x

There is not really a huge difference between these two models from what I have read as far as image quality since I blieve they use the same sensor, however the biggest difference is the LCD, price, Lens availability.

any thoughts?

can you tell us how you narrowed it down to these 2, leaving out both nikon and canon? just curious.

The biggest factor when deciding on a body to buy is the lenses that are available for it. Sony makes the sensors for Nikon, at least last I heard they did. Compare the prices for lenses for the equivalent lens on both Sony / Pentax. Camera bodies change almost as fast as computers, lenses always hold their value and are rarely updated.

can you tell us how you narrowed it down to these 2, leaving out both nikon and canon? just curious.

Well the main reason I left out cannon and nikon is the image stability only being available in the lenses and not in the body. I personally would not want to have to spend extra money on just certain type of lens for just the stability option when I could spend the extra money toward a better lens. If that makes any sense lol.

Main reason I was looking at Sony line is because prior to a point in shoot digital I used a Minolta 35mm from the early 80's and loved it. So since Sony and Minolta are kinda tied together I figured it would be a good starting point.

As for the Pentax... It uses Sony's sensor, supposed to perform good (from what reviews say anyway), and its supposed to have a more rugged body than the Sony 5xx series.

While I live in hawaii I want to get out and about to take photos and with a more durable body I would think it may be more suited for the environment here (Salt spray, hiking in the mountains, very high moisture areas, etc...)

The biggest factor when deciding on a body to buy is the lenses that are available for it. Sony makes the sensors for Nikon, at least last I heard they did. Compare the prices for lenses for the equivalent lens on both Sony / Pentax. Camera bodies change almost as fast as computers, lenses always hold their value and are rarely updated.

So would you suggest that I go for the cheaper of the models and put more money into the lens itself? I know I can easily say that no matter if a camera cost 500 or 1000 I could not justify spending huge money on lens (over 1k for example). I really love some of the lens that Sony offer but the price of them are way out of anything I could really justify (atleast at this time).

mahalo

Well the main reason I left out cannon and nikon is the image stability only being available in the lenses and not in the body. I personally would not want to have to spend extra money on just certain type of lens for just the stability option when I could spend the extra money toward a better lens. If that makes any sense lol.

Main reason I was looking at Sony line is because prior to a point in shoot digital I used a Minolta 35mm from the early 80's and loved it. So since Sony and Minolta are kinda tied together I figured it would be a good starting point.

As for the Pentax... It uses Sony's sensor, supposed to perform good (from what reviews say anyway), and its supposed to have a more rugged body than the Sony 5xx series.

While I live in hawaii I want to get out and about to take photos and with a more durable body I would think it may be more suited for the environment here (Salt spray, hiking in the mountains, very high moisture areas, etc...)

I want stability in the lens to save money. I keep lenses twenty years or more but I replace camera bodies every two or three years.

Ok so because of the price range I should compare them to the Nikon 5000 and Cannon Ti1?

So would you suggest that I go for the cheaper of the models and put more money into the lens itself? I know I can easily say that no matter if a camera cost 500 or 1000 I could not justify spending huge money on lens (over 1k for example). I really love some of the lens that Sony offer but the price of them are way out of anything I could really justify (atleast at this time).

mahalo
Plus, Image Stabilization in the body is physically limited to a much smaller range of correcting movement than can be accomplished in a lens.

One of the primary disadvantages of moving the image sensor itself (in the body IS) is that the image projected to the viewfinder is not stabilized like it is with IS (VR, OS, etc) in the lens.

mahalo
Plus, Image Stabilization in the body is physically limited to a much smaller range of correcting movement than can be accomplished in a lens.

One of the primary disadvantages of moving the image sensor itself (in the body IS) is that the image projected to the viewfinder is not stabilized like it is with IS (VR, OS, etc) in the lens.

Ah I get what you are saying lol. Sorry Im really new to all this and sometimes even with the reading I get confused lol. Anyhow, I went to our local sears last night and looked at several of the DSLR's that they have. They did have a Nikon d3000, couple Cannons (believe t1i was one, rebel), and they had the Sony a230. I have to say I was really disapointed in the feel of the Cannons they had. I really did not like the 'take photo' button as it just seemed uncomfortable. Also everything in the viewfinder was really blurry and even their "camera guy" couldnt get it to work. So it could have been just a craptastic display model. I also did not like the feel of the body as it reminded me of a plastic toy in feel to include the lens (very flemsy)

I did however like the feel of the Nikon and it just had that fimiliar feel like my old 35mm did. That may sound funny but I cant really explain it no other way. The lens and body also felt more 'professional' and sturdy to me.

I loved the movable lcd on the Sony but the body also felt like the Cannon's did. I felt by even holding them they would break :confused:

Since the Nikon d5000 has the movable lcd like the sony I may be leaning towards that one now lol. Only bad thing is it is not available here in hawaii at even near the same cost as online.

So after some looking I found ritzcamera and if I use bing cashback with the specials they are already running I can get this one here
Nikon D5000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera Two-Lens VR Outfit (18-55 VR & AF-S DX VR 55-200mm F4-5.6G) - 25454-2166 - RitzCamera.com

Sale price: 849.99
Bing cashback: 5% = 807.49 (42.50 discount)
Gift card: $50 for future purchases.
Free shipping to Hawaii.

How does that deal sound? i would love to buy on locally but then that would mean using best buy which would cost more.

699.99 + 4.5% tax = $731.49 Then I would need to purchase the additional lens.

It's the same deal B&H Photo Video has (a very trustworthy retailer), except overnight shipping isn't free to Hawaii.

So, it sounds ok.

I called best buy and they said they are also selling the same package exept they include a bag with purchase as well. So I guess Ill be going to best buy after all rofl who would of thought....

One more question for yall... Would it actually be better to just buy say the body and then buy seperate lens or should the kit with these 2 lens be fine atleast for a while.

Go Sony. The a550 is an awesome low-light performer. Don't let the Canikon zealots twist your head; in-camera stabalization is the way to go. Sony has the technical knowledge that they sell to Canikon and they have the Minolta legacy of glass. Sony buying Konika/Minolta was a marriage made in heaven.

Everyone is right about lenses. You buy and keep your glass. And the ONLY place you can get AutoFocus Carl Zeiss outside of Hasselblad is Sony. If you know your glass, you lust after Zeiss glass.

It's an absolute no-brainer.

I wouldn't look at the a200's if you are more than an absolute beginner. The a300's start to be nice but the a550 is very nice for the price. I'm leaning on picking that up as my spare body to replace my a350. I love Live View, but I love my a700 more. That's a brilliantly designed body.

Have fun in your quest.

Cheers!

Most reactions

Back