Trying not to stand out

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey have you ever had that person and ask how much your camera costs? Since my new camera, I get asked this daily and they say, "How much is that camera, i know it's expensive." How do you answer this. I'm not going to just blurt out it's over $2k. I've said alot, shrugged, but what is your way to tell them lightly and not feel like bragging. I see my camera as proving my skill, not proving my wealth. I'm a senior in high school and it's normally my friends that ask so they're not total strangers.

haha, ya I have had that happen too, if it's somebody I know I just say it was a summers worth of work hah, true though because I worked all summer to buy it. I haven't had a random person ask but I would just not answer if it was a total stranger

I find that when people ask questions like this ("how much was your house?" "how much was your car?" "how much do you make a year?" etc) the best response is, "why would you like to know?"

Usually people just say "oh, uh, just curious" and then I can say that it was in my price range & just what I was looking for, and that's about it.

Just tell them that if they don't know enough about photography to already know the rough price of that kind of a camera then they would never understand the reasoning behind the price tag.

-TAG

Hey have you ever had that person and ask how much your camera costs? Since my new camera, I get asked this daily and they say, "How much is that camera, i know it's expensive." How do you answer this. I'm not going to just blurt out it's over $2k. I've said alot, shrugged, but what is your way to tell them lightly and not feel like bragging. I see my camera as proving my skill, not proving my wealth. I'm a senior in high school and it's normally my friends that ask so they're not total strangers.

I usually respond with "How much is your car?"

Just say "About half what this lens costs", lol!

i am 16 and all my friends ask where were i got the money for my camera i say in my wallet.

Strikes me that telling them how much it costs is only bragging if that's your intent. I always say, "it was pricey." If they persist, I just tell them. It's easier and often times avoiding the answer hard sounds more arrogant than just saying it nonchalantly.

I usually tell everyone I meet, even random shady strangers, that I regularly carry over $5000 worth of camera equipment around with me.

They might be asking because they actually are interested in getting a nice camera for themselves and wondering if they could afford one.

It's never really happened to me since I usually am using old cameras, but if someone did ask, I personally would just tell strangers something like "I bought it from ebay for cheap" (often it's true in my case) or "It's a hand-me-down from *insert family member or friend*".. if it's a friend asking, I'll tell them the truth, I don't see what the big deal is, you're not bragging about it if they asked you first.

Most reactions

Back