Trying something new

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by hobbes28, Aug 10, 2004.

1. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

While out taking photos this past weekend, I thought I'd try a new approach. Please be as critical as you can because this is not a picture that I'd usually take.

[​IMG]

2. Lungfarmer

Lungfarmer TPF Noob!

I like it. :) Then again, I'm a texture freak. Reminds me of a 2-D project I had to do in a photography class long ago. I'd love to see it a bit brighter, maybe more saturation to bring out the colors in the rock/concrete, and to clone out that pink/orange part in the lower left.

3. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ummm, sweetie, that's a crack in a sidewalk eh?

What are you trying to convey with the picture? I think it would have more meaning if you can see more of the sidewalk. I.e are the cracks all over? What drew you to this particular one?? If you're looking for texture I agree with Lungfarmer, you've got that down, but perhaps a bit lighter to see more. That little bit of orange in the lower left needs to go, unless of course you change it to black and white :wink:

4. Nagala

Nagala TPF Noob!

I thought it was a column because of the curvature of the light on the right side. My first thought was "What is it?" Other than that, if texture floats your boat, clean up the orange and you've got it. 72 dpi isn't a good medium for it though.

5. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I guess I could have told ya'll that it's the sidewalk. Sorry, but thanks for the replies.

6. StvShoop

StvShoop TPF Noob!

the road of life is a line; a crack in the wall
    it splits into directions, it turns around
    and eventually, the wall falls down.

i want to make a better comment on this one, but i have to get it on my crt somehow :? laptop screen is making the gradients shift tone.

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would agree with Alison that this would work better as a B&W image. It's all about texture here, and you want to feel the concrete very raw and stark - you can't get that with the flecks of color and the bright orange, as previously stated. But a sharp, contrasty B&W image will put that crack in the concrete right in your face.

Mad props for trying something new. That's always a good thing. :thumbsup: You're onto something here with what you were trying to acheive; you just might want to have it better defined in your mind's eye while the subject is there in front of you. It's that lame old Ansel Adams "previsualization" speech again. :wink: Is it strictly about texture, or is it more about decay? If it's the latter, were there dead leaves, etc., nearby to add to the composition? Yada yada yada, but you see where I'm going with this. Try again, this is a mindset worthy of pursuit.