TTL, iTTL, & ETTL?

AaronLLockhart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
iTTL is Nikon, eTTL is Canon. TTL is universal.

TTL lacks a lot of the communication lingo that iTTL or eTTL use.

But yes, TTL means the camera uses pre-flashes seen Through The Lens that are used by various camera systems to make changes to the camera settings and to the speedlight settings. iTTL ands eTTL are used in camera semi-auto or auto modes.

Learning to use TTL flash is fairly complicated and involved because the camera is making decisions based on assumptions made by a camera engineer 18 months before your camera was released for sale.

In other words, the camera has no clue why you are shooting what you are shooting, no clue exactly what you are shooting, nor what artistic goals you have in mind for the shot.

So, TTL flash is often inconsistent, because the camera has no real intelligence.

Last edited:
If any technical people want to work on an open source solution to this with me, let me know. This proprietary TTL communication madness needs to stop.

ETTL means Evaluative TTL .. which stands for the Evaluative metering mode used by the cameras. It breaks the scene you "show" the camera into many parts, evaluates the amount of light coming through each of them, and calculates a "proper" exposure from those. This by far is the best metering mode, but still can be fooled if you show it a white wall or a black dress. It goes way down and way up in exposure level. ... For Flashes, I never had a problem with TTL (in fact my flash is TTL-only), but I can still use FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation [CANON ONLY!]) to raise or lower the flash output level.

Terenas1986 said:
ETTL means Evaluative TTL .. which stands for the Evaluative metering mode used by the cameras. It breaks the scene you "show" the camera into many parts, evaluates the amount of light coming through each of them, and calculates a "proper" exposure from those. This by far is the best metering mode, but still can be fooled if you show it a white wall or a black dress. It goes way down and way up in exposure level. ... For Flashes, I never had a problem with TTL (in fact my flash is TTL-only), but I can still use FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation [CANON ONLY!]) to raise or lower the flash output level.

Nikon has flash compensation as well.

The Yonguo 560 is manual only.. No TTL....

Nikon has flash compensation as well but he if referring to the name "flash exposure compensation" that's how its called on canon systems. On nikon it's probably called something else...

like barbie horsie adventures or something..

sovietdoc said:
Nikon has flash compensation as well but he if referring to the name "flash exposure compensation" that's how its called on canon systems. On nikon it's probably called something else...

like barbie horsie adventures or something..

Yep, completely different.

Let me see if I can even spell what Nikon calls it:

"Flash compensation." yep, I can spell it :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back