Turning Digital! Need Wise Advice!

So I've changed my mind again, but now I'm between two cameras. XTi vs. Nikon D40x.

If I go with the Canon XTi, I will get the kit lense and the 50mm F1.8. The reason I'd be getting the kit lense with it is because I want a wide angle lense for open landscape shots and this is the only lense offered 18mm or smaller less than $400. Then even the next line of lenses that offer this wide of an angle get mixed opinions as well. I would probably go for the next lens in line if it were a sure thing, but from what I've come to find out, it's not and it's not worth the price jump to be disappointed like some others. I've read as much as my brain will allow me to and I've come to find out that the kit lens is optically underrated and just built pretty cheap.

If I go with the Nikon D40x, I'd get the 18-55mm kit lens as well because I've heard good things about it when compared to the price difference in the next line up. Also, I would look to get the kit that includes the 55-200 mm lens. I've come to understand that the Nikon kit lenses outperform the Canons both optically and in build, so I would feel comfortable going with this. Opinions welcome.

I just can't wait until I end up with a camera and am able to take some pictures without worrying about all these decisions!

Personally I would go with canon because you have a far greater lens choice (that have auto-focus). Nikon's are not better than canons. Its all based on opinions. Also if your going to get a Nikon get the D50 (second hand) or the D70 (second hand).

So I finally made a decision. I ended up going with the XTi kit, and the 50mm 1.8. I'm happy with my decision.... Although it is a little too small and lightweight, I like to hike and backpack so that will be beneficial. The 18-55 will do until I get a real job and have more money, I really don't think its as bad as everybody makes it out to be, I've played with one before. Plus I'll have the 50 mm 1.8 to to portraits and family event shots with. I want to save up for the canon 10-22mm. That will most like be my next purchase. Until then....thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back