Reaction score
Hi everybody,
photoshop cs6
have a look please at the 3 photos that i attach

$original_photo_2.jpg

- 1st Photo "original_photo_2", the original one

$correct_photo-2_adj_layers.jpg

- 2nd Photo "correct_photo_2_adj_layers"
here i clean dusty points with hiling brush and clone stamp tool than i apply some adjustment layers: exposure, channel mixer, photo filter and levels

$correct_photo_2_adj_layers_bscatter.jpg

- 3th Photo "correct_photo_2_adj_layers_bscatter"
here i applied the same adjustmment layers as mentioned above than a noise>dust and scratches filter plus the history brush tool to reduce back scattering.

Did you notice the
digital noise (ie, like film grain) that i point at with red arrows, it becomes noticeable in the 2nd photo after i apply the adjustment levels.
I was able to remove some as you can see in 3th photo applying after adjustment layers, noise>dust and scratches filter plus the history brush tool, the history brush tool allow me to remove back scattering too and also some that digital noise.

Cause the digital noise increases so much becoming a noticeable problem after i apply adjustment layers, can you explain to me please the correct way to correct this photo, the proper tecnique that allow the correction, at the same time retaining that nice
rays of sunlight effect, the bands of light coming down from the surface that, once adjustment layeras are applied turn in digital noise.
If i apply
noise>dust and scratches filter plus the history brush tool, the noise filter with higher value, i appplied 5 px, i'm alble to deal with digital noise delating it much more however i'm going to delate the bands of light coming down from the surface too ending up in a a very flat background.
Sorry about my poor written english
Thank a lot!

Last edited:
With digital images noise is always more visible in the darker parts of an image.
Reducing the exposure post process like you have done makes the noise even more visible.
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf

If the scene you shot had been in air rather than water using some fill flash would have reduced the dynamic range of the scene.
Since water is so much more dense than air, and can have quite a bit of suspended particulate natter using supplemental light under water is harder to do.

You don't say what file type the original image is made in, but you do not mention the use of any Camera Raw tools, or what release version of Photoshop you are using.
The noise reduction tools in the CS 4, 5, 6 Camera Raw Sharpening panel are pretty good for a first pass at noise reduction.
Once in Photoshop I use Imagenomic's Noiseware Pro plug-in when final noise reduction adjustments are needed.
Noiseware - the Better way to remove Noise

Thank a lot,
the photo was shooted by a poket camera, a panasonic tz7, jpeg output.
here the original if you want check metadata, i just resized to 2000 px width (constrain proportions) cause the original is too big 3960x2232 px
i'm not allowed to upload such big file
I'm using photoshop cs6

$original_1.jpg

Basically I apply the main tecnique that everybody use to correct under water photos where blue or green color is the perdominant one:
cause we are talking about jpeg i do correction in Photoshop, i apply adjustment layers:
exposure
color mixer
photo filter
levels
this is the main tecnique, in you tube there are a lot of tutorials that explain basically the same tecnique.
May the order in which i apply the adjustment is wrong?
Do you suggest to give a try to camerea raw even if we are talking about an original jpeg?

Friends are telling me to buy filters as Topz Denoise, DeJPEG, etc, they are comercial and very goog filters for correct such problem, do you know them, what do you think about?
Thank a lot

Most reactions

Back