"Unsupported Image Format" in Aperture

beni_hung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just upgraded from my Canon 20D to the 7D and I ran into my first snag. I have the camera settings to RAW like I always shoot, but when I transfer my pictures to Aperture the thumbnails load on the bottom, but in the main browser and full view the picture just appears as a maroon box with "Unsupported Image Format" in the center. Has anybody else had this issue? It's probably just a setting error on my end, but I can't figure it out to save my life.

Have you fully updated aperture? RAW formats are often different from camera to camera, even within the same company so its likley that you need to upgrade aperture to get the latest support for this newest camera.

hmm have a look at the aperture website - might be that they simply havn't caught up with the 7D yet or there is some special download you need to get that is not in a general update

if it is anyhting like Adobe Camera Raw, You will have to Download an updated version of the RAW codec.

Aperture doesn't support many RAW file formats. Apple should get on the ball and offer upgrades when new cameras come out, but they haven't done that for years. As of 10 months ago, Aperture couldn't take the RAW file format from Nikon's D3 and D700 camera bodies. I don't know if they have patched that or not. Best advice, and you're not going to like this, buy PhotoShop. Adobe does a great job of staying up to date with new RAW formats and will take your RAW image file.

Neither does Adobe CameraRAW. Congratulations, you're an early adopter, now calmly sit down and let people actually go through the monumentous task of reverse engineering the retarded proprietary RAW formats.

Bump

Anybody else experience this. I'm about to break down and buy Lightroom.
Buying Lightroom won't solve your problem. Aperture and Lightroom both need updates to support the 7D's RAW images. It will be a little while before they release an update, probably a few weeks if you're lucky. Meanwhile, use DPP that came with your camera.

That's the downside to being an early adopter, you have to wait for all the software manufacturers to catch up.

Bump

Buying Lightroom won't solve your problem. Aperture and Lightroom both need updates to support the 7D's RAW images. It will be a little while before they release an update, probably a few weeks if you're lucky. Meanwhile, use DPP that came with your camera.

That's the downside to being an early adopter, you have to wait for all the software manufacturers to catch up.

I opened a 7D raw file without issues in Lightroom.

Bump

I opened a 7D raw file without issues in Lightroom.
That's cool. It's still not listed on their site for version 2.5 as being supported. The last bodies added were the new Nikons (D300s and D3000) and a couple of panasonics.

It must be treating it as a previous Canon RAW file. I don't know, I don't have a 7D. But once they do release an update for Lightroom, the conversion will probably look better especially at high ISO.

Most reactions

Back