"" UP THE HILL FARM "

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Most of my Photography , I guess would be labeled has rural settings/ nostalgia... and naturally scenic Barns and farms..

So with many straight on shots of barns, and typical settings, i decided to do something a little different.. In this shot, I used this road as a lead in to barn... the further I went down this road, the more I lost the barn.. so , I took this shot to keep the roller coaster effect , and hopefully show just enough barn , to keep it rural...

Does this shot work for you?? maybe the barn being pretty much the only color, may pull it off ??

redbarnhill.jpg

Well it does have strong leading lines for sure.. Not sure it might have been a better frameable shot if it were cropped at the bottom of the hill... makes it look like the view is from the top of a mountain....

Just a second opinion.

Plus im not sure all that foreground adds much to the shot.

Mysteryscrib,,,, Thank you for commenting.. I see what your saying about the crop perhaps at the bottom of the hill... that could work...
but my goal here was to show also the type roads here in rural Vermont, and really liked this roller coaster feel, can I call it a 3 D effect lol..

Thanks...

hmmm . . . if this shots subject is supposed to be the barn then i would hope to see a less obscured view of the barn. also i think it is absolutely nessesary to crop out the bottom, because for me the center of interest is the bottom of the dip in the road, and there just happens to be a barn at the top.

but if its more about the scene then i'm okay with the barn being obscured by the trees.

newrmdmike... Thanks for commenting... The barn is the subject pretty much, but as said above I also wanted to show the roads here in Vermont...
as someone said above , like you, maybe the crop would work, but the barn in this shot not that strong, feel I need the roller coaster road here...again Thanks..

This is not quite so easy ... you want to show both: the roads in rural Vermont and that they are up and down the hills and dirt roads (which was the FIRST I saw, even though the barn is a wonderful red), and the barn.

And something tells me it does not quite work, i.e. wanting to get BOTH subject into one frame. Also I feel there is too much road near us to be seen to still follow it up to the barn with our eyes and recognise that as you major subject.

I did a bit of "scroll-cropping" to get some effects and think that if you crop from the bottom to the base of the second or third pole on the right (you see those little poles there?), you still get a mild effect of going-into-the-dip-and-then-back-up-again, but you don't have as much very dominating foreground.

Thing is if you crop out that wonderfully vibrant green of the tree on the left in the foreground, you lose such a great counterbalance to the red barn.

I'd think to crop it just about down the middle and leave out the big evergreen on the left completely and about a third of the one on the right.

That's why I said: crop to the base of third pole on the right ... that would leave almost all of the bright green conifer and all of the one on the right intact.

Now you guys are beating a dead horse. The suggestion to crop was made at the first. He has already said twice he doesn't want to crop it and it is HIS image.

And to the poster, just in passing, it's easier on the nerves to just say, "Hey you might have a point," then ignore it.

That always works for me.

But then again with so many people saying to make a better pure IMAGE that stands alone and speaks for itself if you were to CROP. You might want to rethink your methology. But in the end it is YOUR image.

How is that for tact...

mysteryscribe

lol tact is good!! I haven't ruled out a crop as of yet, and its great to hear the opinions on this... thats what makes public opinion so grand... sure helps in decisions when editing a profile...

Thanks all of you!

Not me I just put the images in here so everyone can tell me how much better they are and make THEM feel better. Not to mention makeing all the people who read the critic as well, since they didn't make such a stupid mistake as I had.

Not to mention someone just might learn something who didn't have any idea that he would. One of the reasons I believe in public critique, is that the audience actually just might learn something, even if the poster doesn't. Also why I believe in public editing. The poster might not learn but the viewer gets to see different looks and form his/her own opinion.

mysteryscribe .. wow lol... your quite a heavy thinker, aghhh lets call it philosopher..... what scary , is I think I understand you lol!!

Thanks again!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back