Upgrade?

Newman92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Firstly I feel bad for only signing up to this forum when I'm in need of help. :p

I've had my Nikon D40 for 2 years, 4 months, and I think I may have finally outgrown the body. It was, and still is a great camera, but I'd like some more advanced features such a live-view as I take photographs at quite obscure and low angles at times :lol: and preferably a movie mode so I can do some experimenting and hopefully learn a bit more in that department.

I'd like to stay with Nikon as I have a 50mm prime 1.8 lens, Nikon Remote, and a Hama Flash, but if Canon has a camera suitable which is better value for money i'd happily trade companies.

I also want a larger sensor as my images in some instances really do lack resolution. Here's my flickr flickr.com/photos/newman92/ (have a look round, and feel free to add me ;)) to give you an idea of the photography I take.

I'm grateful for any comments or recommendations of cameras, I have a budget ranging from £300-450 but if I can get a really top camera who knows :D

Thanks for reading. :thumbup:

You don't need a larger sensor to get more resolution, you just need more megapixels.

To get a larger image sensor would would need to get at least a Nikon D700 Nikon D700 12.1MP FX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only). (doesn't fit in your budget)

The Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) has twice as many MP as your D40 and it was the first dSLR that could also shoot video.

There are many D90's on the used market and it a good used one should fit in your budget.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The D90 is coming down in price more every day. It would be a logical upgrade from your D40 since you are used to Nikon. I just got one and love it

You don't need a larger sensor to get more resolution, you just need more megapixels.

To get a larger image sensor would would need to get at least a Nikon D700 Nikon D700 12.1MP FX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only).

The Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) has twice as many MP as your D40 and it was the first dSLR that could also shoot video.

There are many D90's on the used market and it a good used one should fit in your budget.

Resolution and Megapixels are NOT the same thing.

Resolution is affected by noise levels, optical quality, camera stability, vibration, and number of megapixels.

I would contend that the lower noise levels of the d90 do FAR more to increase it's resolution then it having double the pixels--which equates to only a 30% increase in resolution.

The most notable difference between a d40 and a d90 is CCD sensor vs. a CMOS sensor. I'd suggest that the TS look for a CMOS sensor camera in their budget. Nikon or Canon both make excellent cameras, just pick the one that "feels" best to you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank a lot everyone who's replied so far, great stuff!

I realised when I got my D40 that megapixels weren't everything, I mean 6MP is fine up to A4 size and thats fine for me, therefor I wanted a better quality or larger sensor to improve the quality of my images. So that's the reason I asked for it :)

Only looked at Nikons so far, but will venture at canon soon.
at the moment:

D70 (stock lens) Similar price to what I can sell my D40 for.
D90 (body) £450-500
D3000 (stock lens) £350
D3100 (stock lens) £400
D5000 (stock lens) £420

Anyone used or have anything good/bad to say about those cameras or any other nikons I should look at? :thumbup:

The best of the new breed of Nikons are the D3100 or the D7000. Resolution approaches D700 which i own.

joe

The D90 is an extremely capable camera and even right up before before the D7000 was released, it was the camera to have for a lot of non pro photographers.

Amazon and others are selling new D90's for around $700.00. The local shops here are selling them new for $679.00 which represents (to me) one of the best camera investments around. If I did not already have a D90 and was looking to upgrade, I would purchase a D90 over the D7000 and invest the price difference savings into a new lens.

Love my D90. It was my second camera as well and i couldn't be happier.

Resolution and Megapixels are NOT the same thing.

Resolution is affected by noise levels, optical quality, camera stability, vibration, and number of megapixels.

Wait wait wait...I'm completely confused now.

I thought resolutions was affected by alcohol...and then completely abandoned on January 2nd.

I think you should stick with Nikon,youve paid money into them,and you'll be used to where things are on their camera's.

Added you on Flickr Btw.

Cheers everyone, I'll look closer into the D90, any canons I should look at?

I think you should stick with Nikon,youve paid money into them,and you'll be used to where things are on their camera's.

Added you on Flickr Btw.

Yea, you've got a good point, keep it familar.
Cheers, doesn't seem to have come through my end :confused:
want to try again :)

Click on Recent activities on your home page :)

And take a look at a preowned Canon 400D,might get a few bundles on Ebay for your Budget. But i like the D90's spec's :)

Yep D90 and don't know why you would even be considering Canon? As you would have to dump everything and relearn a completely different menu,controls,etc..

But comparison wise I think the Canon 50D is probably the closest feature wise. Tho the canon has a tad beefier build then the Nikon D90. Picked up my D90 used 3 months ago for $675. And have seen them drop to the $600-$700 range on craigslist. But you can get refrub's from dealers in that price range.

At the time of my D40 I became frustrated with it after about 9 months and went to a D80 at the time. And the additional features,controls was a great improvement to my photography. As I could concentrate on taking pictures without menu digging and having to manual focus lenses. But right now the most Bang fer the Buck camera is the D90.

A nikon D90 or canon 500D/550D are good ways to spend some cash. A D80/70 or something older from nikon really isn't much of an upgrade.

stick to the cmos sensor cameras, for nikon this includes the d90, d5000, d3100, d300, d7000, d700, and d3

the ccd sensor cameras wont outperform your d40.

also, try to get something with a af motor, to widen your lens selection.

if all these options are too much $$ then consider a d80, they only cost about 350 used, picture quality wont be much better then the d40, but youll have better controls and an af motor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back