Upgrading for better model shots - recommendations?

xero27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. I actually found this site because I was looking for non-brand specific recommendations.

I have been using an A-series Canon for a long time, and while it is a great camera it is really showing it's limitations in protrait/model shooting. I need something that can accomodate an external flash. I don't want to break the bank since this is really an amateur hobby of mine.

I've been thinking about the Panasonic DMC-LX3 but I'm worried that the lens is too short and that the flash will bring me right into DSLR price territory, can anyone inform me if this is true? Or if you have good experience with another camera please let me know!

Thanks!

[EDIT] If you recommend a DSLR that is cool too, I would rather spend the money on the DLSR that I can use for many years than almost the same amount on a fixed-lens with many limitations.

In the P&S arena, the choice is easy... the best one out there is the Canon G10. In the dSLR, well... you will need to do a lot of your own homework as your needs are not very stringent and there are a lot of good potential answers. Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony and others all have cameras that are more than able to accommodate your needs. You will have to first more clearly define those needs and then choose the camera that best fits those needs.

Thanks Jerry! I had been looking at the G10 (and I've always been a Canon fanboy) but for some reason I just can't get the LX3 out of my head. I just love that Panasonic decided to stay at 10MP and work on refining the sensor rather than boosting megapixels.

But the G10 has a real viewfinder and exactly the lens I need, even if it isn't as fast as the Panasonics lens.

Damn!

In the end, no matter what anyone suggests... take and use what makes you happy. :D

My brother just picked up a G10 and loves it. This post on a National Geographic blog makes me give up a lot of respect for the G9s and 10s.

I would, though, recommend a dSLR you can switch lenses on. The Digital Rebels are a great, inexpensive introduction to that world, and if you ever decide to invest more you can always upgrade.

I shoot on a Digital Rebel XT.

Most reactions

Back