Used 35mm film camera

Forget K1000, get Ricoch KR-5, much better built camera. And cheaper as it doesn't have the K1000 fame. Essentially it is like K1000 but with much better, steel, vertical movement shutter and better gears.

I have both. They are very similar cameras. I don't know which I prefer more. But both are k mount, so many excellent lenses to choose from. Both built like a tank.

Why most film auto focus slrs are more expensive than manual focus slrs? Is it because the manual focus are rared and antiques?
Only when the camera comes with the lenses, otherwise AF body is worth $0 or almost that. Most AF lenses might be used on digital bodies.

Opps, sorry about the confusion. I made it other way around. I was saying "Why most film manual focus slrs are more expensive than film auto focus slrs?"

Opps, sorry about the confusion. I made it other way around. I was saying "Why most film manual focus slrs are more expensive than film auto focus slrs?"
Cause they more romantic ?:lol: I can see on my local market there is less and less offerings.

I would go with the Spotmatic F, or a Nikon F, if you can find one. Both of mine are ancient and battered, and still work fine.

Get a Nikon FM. Only batteries needed are for the built in light meter. Mine has taken quite a beating already. Got it w/3 lenses for $35 IIRC. I wouldn't trade mine for the world now though.

The mechanical film cameras might be more collectible or have a bit more value because they're still very usable. A mechanical camera can sometimes be relatively simple to repair and I imagine many of us who collect them do some tinkering ourselves.

The auto film cameras I think became more popular so probably are more common, and if the batteries aren't made for them anymore or something electronic isn't working, the camera could be unusable.

The most recent camera I bought was made in the '20s and since I found one with the roll film back I plan to use it this summer with 120 B&W film. I have a 100 year old camera that still works (actually I have a number of old cameras that still work).

If you want other ideas you could try Film Photography Project | An Internet Radio Show & On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide .

I was able to get a good condition Nikon FM2N on ebay for a decent price, along with a bunch of old manual focus Nikkor AI-S and Nikon E Series lenses. I highly recommend the Nikon FM2N; I really like mine. I've put Ektar, Superia, and Velvia film through it so far, and it has been an absolute pleasure to work with. The 1/4000 second mechanical shutter speed can come in handy as well, if you do any high speed work.

Forget K1000, get Ricoch KR-5, much better built camera. And cheaper as it doesn't have the K1000 fame. Essentially it is like K1000 but with much better, steel, vertical movement shutter and better gears.

I have both. They are very similar cameras. I don't know which I prefer more. But both are k mount, so many excellent lenses to choose from. Both built like a tank.

C'mon, get a K1000...you know you want to...all the cool kids have one ;)

Seriously, I love my K1000. Been shooting her for 20 years and she's solid as a rock. Still, I wouldn't say no to a Ricoh.

Most reactions

Back