Using a tripod in the sea

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB and I was wondering if anyone has ever used their tripod by the seaside. Obviously I m talking about merely dipping the tip of the tripod legs into the water rather than going in waist length. How would that affect the tripod? Would the legs become rusty or can they simply be dried and cleaned afterwards with no problems? Every once in a while I come across a video on YouTube by people showing how to shoot seaside pictures and most of them do dip theirs in.

Thanks!

The 190XPOB is made from aluminum, and last I heard aluminum doesn't rust. But the salt can corrode it. I doubt an occasional dip in the ocean is going to leave you with nothing to work with. A tripod is a tool. It's not a treasured jewel-encrusted, gold-plated, centuries-old family heirloom. Yeah, no one likes doing something intentional that may eventually ruin a tripod, but it's still just a tool.

If getting my 5 legs wet is what it takes to 'get the shot', damn right I'll get 'em wet. Just clean & dry the legs off when you're done.

a good tripod should be abused; thrown off rocks, dunked in water, slid down mountainsides...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back