Using an Rebel XT Remote Switch, with a 40D

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello friends, i bought a Canon 40D today and so far i absolutely love it. My only gripe is the input for the remote switch is different than the rebel XT (my previous camera which im planning on selling).

You see with my Rebel XT, i had it rigged up to a TI-84 Graphing Calculator. The wire inputs are the same.

I was able to take time lapse pictures using an application on the calculator.

Now that ive got this amazing new camera, i can't use the time lapse trick anymore, wire wont work.

Is there an adaptor i can buy?

Basically, the proper question to ask would be:

Is there a way i can use a Remote Switch RS-60E3 with a Canon 40D?
What would be the adaptor's name and/or part number?

thanks all for the help. :blushing:

To the best of my knowledge it's not possible but there could be an adapter out there somewhere.

when i look into the hole for the remote on my 40D, i notice inside there are three tiny prongs.

the tip of the cord on the old camera remote switch has three contact points.

coincidence?

Is it just a regular stereo jack? (Pretty sure it is.)

Radio Shack should have the adapter.

All the sizes at Radio Shack are in inches. 2.5mm = 3/32". I'm guessing you probably need an adapter to go from 3/32 to 1/8. Something like this, but I'm not sure which end needs to be which size.

edit
I think you need the one opposite of that, like this. Your remote has the 3/32 plug, right? And the hole on the 40D is bigger? If you have some calipers measure the diameter of the hole, it should be somewhere around .125". If it is, this second link is the one you need. You can probably just eyeball it too. I think the next size up is 1/4", so it should be pretty easy to tell what it is (probably 1/8").

Last edited:
the hole on the 40D isn't just bigger, its a totally different jack. its an N3 input. my issue isn't the 1/8 to 2.5, it has nothing to do with that. i need something that looks like this:

needthis.jpg

im going to have to custom make it

work.jpg

Ahh... Sorry.

I would still bet that Radio Shack probably has what you're looking for though. Search their online catalog and call the local store once you know the part number.

Radio shack wont have the connector that plugs into the 40D, I think that is a Canon proprietary plug. For the same price as an end, you could always just get a new remote for the 40D here:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NVX7EC[/ame]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back