Using SD Cards

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are you guys mostly using name brand SD cards or would you go with cheaper brands? I see some like "adata" for significantly cheaper price. I had a 2gb using from my old camera but wow, this thing can only take less than 40 pix RAW

You may or may not know (just going to throw this out there anyway) but find out what class of SD card you need for your camera. I know that with the T1i, for example, they recommend that you not use anything lower than Class 6, especially if you intend to record videos. Having said that, I have used my Class 2 cards in a pinch, but only for photos.

As far as brand - I do think your mileage may vary. I have 4 SanDisk 2GB Class 2 SD cards, which have never given me an issue, and 2 OCZ (think: RAM overclocking mfr) 4GB Class 6 SD cards. Again, no issues at all.

I think i've seen some of the adata cards you mentioned, but I sorta stayed clear of them. Check tigerdirect and newegg for reviews.

You won't save money buying off brand memory cards, because you'll just end up throwing them away to buy a name brand anyway. A few years ago, I decided to buy a new memory card, but thought I'd give an off brand a try to save $30 or something like that. Every other shoot I used it on, it would corrupt images. I was able to retrieve most of them using photo recovery software, but that cost me another $25. I tossed it and just bought a name brand. Like everything, you get what you pay for.

you may want to also consider the idea of paring down your capacity in case something bad happens. That way, you only lose 4 or 8 gigs of photos instead of 16gb. Obviously, worst case scenario, but something to think about.

I see. I might end up getting Kensington. It's a good brand, have used their products for years.

Second, you're right, that's a thought. I will think about that also. Man RAW takes a lot of space!

you may want to also consider the idea of paring down your capacity in case something bad happens. That way, you only lose 4 or 8 gigs of photos instead of 16gb. Obviously, worst case scenario, but something to think about.

Yes like if you happen to wash your SD card that has your sisters wedding photos on it... Happened to me today.:confused: I still need to see if it works. But all is good, i already have a backup of the card.

I love backups!!!! Backups>:hugs:<me

damn that sux man! I've never had that happen to me except once with my sony camera, had like 2 pix and im using a chinese brand card for it. But that was once since then I've been shooting left n right w/ it, no problem. Although since day one it always gives me a warning that how the card is not compatible :lol: but you just press ok and that's that. Been takin pic for a year now, no problem

I have been using SanDisk SD cards for my limited SD card use...they wash and dry quite well. I have run a couple through the Warm Wash/Cool Rinse Permanent Press wash cycle and the Less Dry Medium heat dryer cycle with stellar results!!! Based on their stellar performance in the washer and dryer, I reccommend SanDisk SD Cards. (seriously)

Are you guys mostly using name brand SD cards or would you go with cheaper brands? I see some like "adata" for significantly cheaper price. I had a 2gb using from my old camera but wow, this thing can only take less than 40 pix RAW

The card i use... and apparently wash:lol: is a 16GB Sandisk extreme. I only got the 16 over the 8 because it was on sale for less.:mrgreen:

It has held strong through everything i put it through... We will see if it stands up with being washed.:p

But its FAST and reliable. never lost a file.

EDIT:

I have been using SanDisk SD cards for my limited SD card use...they wash and dry quite well. I have run a couple through the Warm Wash/Cool Rinse Permanent Press wash cycle and the Less Dry Medium heat dryer cycle with stellar results!!! Based on their stellar performance in the washer and dryer, I recommend SanDisk SD Cards. (seriously)

So i should be safe.:peacesign:

I was wondering for all you guys out there what size cards do you usually take with you and how many do you take with you.

I was wondering for all you guys out there what size cards do you usually take with you and how many do you take with you.

How many shots do you expect to take when out ??

Know how many shots each card will give you and take along about twice that.. :lol:

Seriously - with a 5d, I get about 250 shots on a 4gig card. I like that if anything goes wrong, I don't lose much, and I can change cards when the scenes or subjects change.. I always have a Pelican pack in the bag with 4 cards and the one in the camera.

Went with:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS8GSDHC6E/dp/B001ECQVSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1279731276&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC6E: Electronics[/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS8GSDHC6/dp/B000P9ZBFA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279731184&sr=8-2"][/ame]

Some people may frown on it but worth a shot with over 2500 reviews. Thanks for all your inputs everyone

Most reactions

Back