UV filter, what does it do?

Thunderwolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
this will sound like a very noobie question i expect, but

i've noticed i have a UV filter on my camera which must have been on there since my dad gave it to me.

but i want to know what it accualy does and the sort of pictures i should use it for

UV filters are normally added as a protection filter - to protect the front glass of a lens. As a protection they are debated about and there is no fixed answer - some people always shoot with them for protection, whist others never touch them (under claims of loss of sharpness).
Honestly though a good make UV filter will hardly affect the end result - as to the protection that is up to the indevidual.
They do also block out UV light, but many lenses today have UV coatings anyway, so they are less needed. With older cameras and specific situations I am less familiar

Ah! So that's what a UV filter is for? Here I thought it was for keeping your photos from being sunburned. I don't have one, so I've been the kid's SPF15 sunblock on the lens. I was wondering why all my photos were looking like this....

20030426KahleLake06a.jpg

:lmao:

Id rather spend $20 on a UV filter and protect the front of the lens than spend $300 to replace my lens if I damage it. And I dont find any difference in the quality of the photos with or without it.

my dad (who now has such an expensive camera he is scared of using it) took 2 shots of the sky, seems the only thing it does is give more detail to clouds.

i think i'll keep mine on, 1 it protects the lens (mine don't come off so if i damage it thats a whole new camera) and 2, it easier to clean the filter than clean the lens

UV bounces around (that's why the sky and shade are blue). In some places, such as high altitudes, near the ocean, or big cities this can result in a slight, but perceptible haze. While mostly used as a lens protector, a UV filter will also cut this haze.

My UV filter spins and will/does effect the color in the photo. Yes, I know I am a newbie....Just trying to understand.

My UV filter spins and will/does effect the color in the photo. Yes, I know I am a newbie....Just trying to understand.

Are you sure that's not actually a circular polarizer? Is it clear, or tinted?

I've never seen a UV filter that spins...

Are you sure that's not actually a circular polarizer? Is it clear, or tinted?

I've never seen a UV filter that spins...

My Hoya Circular Polarizer filter spins too. I wonder why it spins.

Ah! So that's what a UV filter is for? Here I thought it was for keeping your photos from being sunburned. I don't have one, so I've been the kid's SPF15 sunblock on the lens. I was wondering why all my photos were looking like this....

Did you use the kind for UVA or UVB? That might be the problem! Also, I'm not sure SPF15 is enough.

My Hoya Circular Polarizer filter spins too. I wonder why it spins.
(are you joking...? can't tell)
A polarizer spins to adjust the amount of polarization. Try it. Look at something with a glare on it, then start rotating the filter and watch what happens. You can do this without even mounting it to a lens, just look through it while rotating it in your hand.

I don't see any reason why a UV filter would need to spin though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back