UV Filters? Polarizers?

What are they for, when do you use them??

I was going to redirect you to the "just google it" site, bu thought I would just reply...

UV filters - most widely claimed to protect your lens glass. Even that in itself is a controversy, so lets not get that going. But it is also used to cut the haziness caused by ultraviolet light.

Circular polarizers (CP) are used to reduce reflections, increases saturation by bringing out the colors (works really well on greens and reds), and it darkens or enhance the sky. I think everyone should own a CP.

Last edited:
I was going to put a disclaimer that I did google it, but I would like to hear from real people as to their function! haha

Ohh heck, here comes the people saying how the UV protects their lenses....and right behind them comes KmH, Tirediron, Derrel, and the posse telling them that they wasted their money, and are putting cheap glass over expensive lenses! lol

:popcorn:

do you use your cir polarizer WITH the UV filter? or just one or the other? and if you use both at the same time - which one on top of which?

I always have a skylight or UV filter on the front of my expensive lens.. It is a time honored application for long-time photographers..

As to a CP...depends on where you live on how much you use one.. I live in the desert where the sun is up most of the time, and so, I probably have a CP on at least half the time... However, no camera bag should be without one..:D

To answer the other post... you should not stack filters if at all possible (there are exceptions)..

Digital camera sensors are not sensitive to UV light, so there is no need to get a UV filter to filter out UV light. Most who know this use a UV filter as a protection for this lens glass. As for me, I use a Rodenstock multicoated UV filter to protect the lens, and use a lens hood to protect the filter. This maybe overkill for protection, but give me peace of mind. Only use quality filters or else the image quality will degrade.

Circular polarizers reduce glare, not reflection. It also makes the sky bluer and clouds whiter and pop out more. it also makes plants better but I am colorblind so I myself don't see a difference.

I use a CPL filter when appropriate, which pretty much means anytime I shoot outside.

As a long-time photographer I have never put UV or clear filters on my expensive lenses for protection of the front lens objective.
I do put on a skylight filter on when shooting at altitudes approaching and above 3000 meters (10,000 feet). If I am shooting a landscape on a hazy morning, I'll shoot a couple of frames with a skylight filter on in case it helps with the haze.

Shooting film, filters play a much larger role in making the image than they do with digital image sensors. Shooting film, using filters is pre-processing an image and with film UV filters play an image enhancing role. UV filters have no positive effects on digital images. At best they have no effect, at worse they degrade image quality, and if they shatter can damage the lens objective glass they were intended to 'protect'.

Instead, for protection I now rely on a good lens hood, and as always, good camera handeling technique, situational awareness, and time proven non-scratch/abrasive cleaning methods to ensure unmarred lens objectives and coatings.

Inside nothing, except a lens hood, is needed on the front of a lens unless you want to use a special effects filter.

so its a no no using a UV to protect ur lens...?
It's not a no-no, but it's highly debatable that a UV filter actually 'protects' your lens.

The $$$ profit margin on filters is huge.

Ask your self this: If it was all that critical and important, why is it lens makers don't include a 'protection' filter with every lens?

ok if anyone is bored would they like to post a link to a good polarized filter for a nikonD3000 with the 18-55 kit lens or the 35mm lens or the 50-200 zoom

People are right about the "cheap glass" not protecting from UV but it does protect your lense from dirt/dust/etc. They keep you "expensive lens" from getting damaged.
Polerizers are for reduceing glar from reflections off shiny objects.
Wes

Most reactions

Back