Venue Shoot - How would you go about it?

I don't need the newest; It just adds in the auto assist beam and costs twice as much. A few d800 users mentioned it worked on an another forum when I was searching for the very answer, so I can't imagine it not working on the D600. Derrel also touts his own 20yo ttl cord.

Okay... not trying to be a nay-sayer, but I do know that there are certain compatibility issues between different generations of Nikon TTL; wasn't sure if that was one of them or not!

If a cord just extends electrical connections it should be fine. Old flash units triggered with higher voltage than the current ones. Mixing older flash units with a current camera might need a careful reading of specs for both. Sometimes contacts designed for higher voltage develop crud when used at lower voltage, so periodic cleaning may be needed.

To add to what I have previously said...

If you are dead set on using a flash I would at least gel it

1362515413_gelling.jpg

A have a tungsten gel that came with my sb700 that I use indoors.

Interesting; out of curiosity, why not? I can see your approach working well near the window, but people are toward the back of the room, or shadowed by someone/something...

The only reason why is just simply because I prefer the look of natural light over flash.
Then you haven't seen work which has been correctly illuminated with flash.

I wouldn't say that...

This is a wedding shower(or something of the sort), not a portrait shoot.

I like how you didn't quote where I said it was personal preference.

I wouldn't say that...

This is a wedding shower(or something of the sort), not a portrait shoot.

I like how you didn't quote where I said it was personal preference.

Which part of "I prefer" doesn't express "personal preference"? Just asking, ...

To add to what I have previously said...

If you are dead set on using a flash I would at least gel it

I think before adding gel, I would work out how much natural light vs. how much incandescent, and whether to include the incandescent or overpower it.

I don't think this was mentioned, but I noticed that wall that at first I thought was mirrored, then realized it's a glass display case running along the length of the room, I'd be considering that when setting up.

Depends of course what vantage points you'd be using to get specific table(s) with the bridal party, etc. but I'd be aware of the bar on the other side too if it's an open bar and people could be getting up and down a lot (although I could see it working maybe for a group shot before/after the shower of the groomsmen/bridal party).

To me the photos on the venue's website look as if they were enhanced and I don't know if those ceiling lights would brighten the room/panelling as much or as evenly as it appears. Does look like a beautiful place.

Last edited:
I'm ready for another session of bathroom selfies.

DSC_2908-1.jpg

I like that GRAY TTL remote cord, B!!! Oh...guess what...so, I'm on a shoot two weeks ago using TTL on the pigtail cord, and I noticed that my fairly new SC-28 cord had started losing the rubber sheathing around the wiring where the cable goes into the danged end connector, about two inches of the exterior coating has peeled off. As if it wasn't bad enough that last summer, the plastic exterior finish on the entire length of the SC-28 cord oxidized, and went from black to a dull, powdery, flaking-off-gray. I had to clean the cord with alcohol and a rag last summer because it was turning my hands black... Meanwhile, the Reagan era SC-17 cord,and its original gray coated exterior... is still...looking like it's 1985...

reminds me of my keyboard on my old IBM. I think that was before the 386...

Most reactions

Back